Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Careers ...

Age 10-13
    Caught Perch and Pike in the summertime and sold them door-to-door, over-priced of course, with gleaming, twinkling eyes.

Age 13-15
    Was an avid supporter of the local girl's basketball, soccer, volleyball teams; this is also the time when my eye sight started to deteriorate... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Age 15
    Worked as a surveyor's assistant one year. It was really cool because you could place traffic cones where ever you wanted, just to freak people out.

Age 17-18
    Washed off pulp from really dangerous looking mashinery with some big-ass firehoses. Also, had some really dangerous waterfights with the same hoses.

Age 19-20
    Cruised "just under the radar" when doing my military service; gained 15 pounds but no facial hair.

Age 20-current
    Office work; joining paperclips into really long string, perfected my 3-point garbage throw, learned to type with two fingers but not to spell.

Found Xara six months months ago and use it every day with gleaming, twinkling eyes.

Risto

<u>CV</u>
    idiot
    <u>Ambition</u>
    compleat idiot

<font face="arial" size="1">"once upon a time I read books. Now I read computer screens and books, (about computers..)" "sigh.."</font>

I paint and draw and make silkscreen prints and now what I want to do is make an animated movie. My current work right now is for a university, and my homework is remodelling a woolshed <font face="arial" size="1">(NZ woolshed = sheep-hairdressing salon)</font> into my new home.

Q.
    http://www.Qdesign.co.nz

I am an ex-long haul trucker, now employed as an R&D mechinical engineer for a company that makes medical devices.
    I also am a flyfishing and elk hunting guide. Xara and other graphics programs are my main hobbies, especially in the long winter months.
    Mike
    "You can't grill 'em, 'til you kill 'em"
    Ted Nugent

Started as system programmer ages ago when the IT was young [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] and punching cards were in.

worked as consultant most of the last decade, being self employed for the last 5 years now.

Ross: I spent quite some time in Ottawa and really like Canada but from what I learned, bureaucrats are certainly not from Germany as many people think. They have been invented in Canada for sure [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I use Xara for my websites and playing around only. For some weird reason, I like to train skills where my abilites are below zero .

juergen

Studied journalism after school, but I became a public relations officer because PR seemed more glamorous than journalism.

While working as a PRO, I started playing around with CorelDraw (version 2 back then) and became interested in graphic design. Got my break when the company's graphic designer left to start his own business. I applied for the job, got it and never looked back since.

Mike.

At 12 I took the "if you can draw these faces, you can be an artist test". (They are still using that test 40 years later)...so the seeds were there even then.

After college I sort of "fell" into library work. First at a public library where we sponsored a class in calligraphy which reawakened my creative instincts. Then in '86 I was off to a University Libray where I discovered the internet and Coreldraw. Computer graphics then became an avocation.

Now I am lucky enough to have a job as a web designer for a local company...They actually pay me to play with Xara all day...well, I do have to save a little time for html, javascript, etc.

Mickie

Everyone who knows me says i'm an Alien, and yes, some time ago, I visited my home-planet, Arcadia, in dreamtime, and still long for it.

But in everyday life I am a painter with "Middle-Ages to Renaissance technique" (chose the wrong century) and a streetbusker during summer when it doesn't rain... and I'm trying out the digital tools to make computerart like I see it in my dreams.
    (see: http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...1&m=7101947912 )

I started as a leadguitar player in a psychedelic band, with lightshows etc. (Boy, if we'd had Xara and Fractals etc...)

Before that I can't remember. Like Paul Simon wrote: "If I think back on all the crap I learned in highschool, it's a wonder I can think at all. But it never matched my sweet imagination..."

If you don't work against time, time often works for you.

[This message was edited by Erik Heyninck on May 29, 2001 at 12:00.]

I'll try not not to make this a resume, but it may be hard.

Grew up in upper East Tennessee in a little town called Elizabethton. (pop. about 13,000) BSEET from East Tennessee State University in '81. Started with Westinghouse Electric in '82 as EET. Since then, I've held 6 or 7 different positions within the same company. (Our facility, along with 39 other W'house facilities, was purchased by a huge i'ntl electrical eng company called ABB in '89.) My next position was Engineering Test Tech, designing / fabricating test equipment for environmental testing of products for the electric utility industry. Used a little CAD package for Win 3.1 called OrCAD to document wiring and to design interface circuit boards. Then did two years as a Design Engineer using AutoCAD to design metal parts and ACAD 3D to make molds for our plastic parts. Spent the next 3 years as a Field Support Engineer for a set of products that used FM broadcast to reduce/control power usage at a residential level. During this period, I was using VISIO for documentation of site installations and, to a minor degree, for product literature. (Don't laugh, but I also used it to create a logo and some t-shirt art for a friends business) Then, it was two years as Engineering Technical Liaison for our International Marketing Group helping birth & support International Joint Ventures that license the manufacture of our products. (electric meters) This was when I discovered CorelXara 1.5, which I used to create documents to support the setup of the JVs as well as for technical illustrations. Also during this period, in the background I was starting an intranet initiative. Learned HTML and built my personal site (http://www.ipass.net/~rheaton) and the the first basic intranet site at work, using Xara 1.5 and Dreamweaver. Was well on my way to becoming the webmaster, when our GM got the e-commerce bug (you can guess where) and, due to "politics" I won't go into, I was no longer part of something I started. (sand in the vaseline) Anyway, with one foot out the door, they made me an offer to go back into test engineering and here I am. I've learned VB programming and now use it to test product firmware and software. (hence my empathy for Mark G. & the boys at Xara relative to delivery dates) I will take credit for the fact that we now have about a dozen copies of Xara X being used by our documents group here. I also use it for any graphics I may need and to design shirts for different projects here at ABB. I bought a copy of Xara for my home machine and it is my major stress relief and relaxation device. And if you're awake after all that, your life must be even more boring than mine.

Ric

"I can't grow up, I'm too old now." - James McMurtry

Hi Guys, (haven't seen any girls?)

Work at SNS bank in the Netherlands. Developed Internet banking last year and am now doing several projects as a projectmanager. But still like computers/graphics and like to learn how to create the butifull things you guys make. When I have time I like do do Gary's tutorials. Stumbled on Xara.

Yep, that's enough for now..
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]