Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Careers ...

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

In another thread I just learned Jean-Guy and Delta Moon are both bean counters who use xara as creative outlets. This had me wondering what range of careers Xara X users have. My thought is that in this thread we can each post a brief indication of our career or lack thereof. The thread could be much like the one Gary started about where we all live - I found that really facinating. To encourage participation I'll offer a fabulous prize. I'll send an exclusive postcard featuring beautiful Nova Scotia, Canada to the person with the best brief description of their career.

To start things off: I used to work as a lifeguard when I was young and fit. I wet to university for something like seven and a half years eventually getting a M.Arch degree. I'm now an associate in a small architectural practice. I sometimes get to use Xara in my work but only occasionally. So most of my Xara use is for fun. I find it a good stress release. My description isn't very exciting but then I'm disqualified from getting the prize anyways.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

[This message was edited by Ross Macintosh on May 26, 2001 at 07:21.]

In another thread I just learned Jean-Guy and Delta Moon are both bean counters who use xara as creative outlets. This had me wondering what range of careers Xara X users have. My thought is that in this thread we can each post a brief indication of our career or lack thereof. The thread could be much like the one Gary started about where we all live - I found that really facinating. To encourage participation I'll offer a fabulous prize. I'll send an exclusive postcard featuring beautiful Nova Scotia, Canada to the person with the best brief description of their career.

To start things off: I used to work as a lifeguard when I was young and fit. I wet to university for something like seven and a half years eventually getting a M.Arch degree. I'm now an associate in a small architectural practice. I sometimes get to use Xara in my work but only occasionally. So most of my Xara use is for fun. I find it a good stress release. My description isn't very exciting but then I'm disqualified from getting the prize anyways.

Regards, Ross

[This message was edited by Ross Macintosh on May 26, 2001 at 07:21.]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I'm disqualified from getting the prize anyways <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps you could cheat - you could sneakily send two postcards out, posting one to yourself. That would be exciting wouldn't it?

XaraX usage: almost every day for website layout and graphics but rarely for creative stuff that warrants a mention in the Gallery. That's stuff I do in my spare time... which is like gold dust.

--
    Big Frank was
    http://www.wognum.org/files/madewithxarax.gif
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

"On the dole, divorced, mostly pi**ed.
    Aimed low in life and missed"

27 years British Merchant Navy Officer, 8 years operating an airport taxi service and a year and a half as a web designer (I use the term very librally!)

The bit about the dole and being divorced is a lie but the rest is true. A post card from Nova Scotia would be the highlight of my life ;-)

Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Draftee (Vietnam era), minimum wage as a Front Desk and Night Auditor at Timberline Lodge for 1 year (1974). Tektronix: methods and motion analyst for 3 years; engineering change control and documentation control coordintator and manager 12 years; an I.S. lackie for 2 years (I learned to use CorelDRAW (2.x); Layed-off. A "temp" for 8 months (as a typist). Brown and Caldwell Environmental Consultants: typist for 2+ years, did simple illustrations and diagrams on the side for proposals, manuals, and reports (started playing with CorelXara 1.x); full-time "illustrator" ever since, with much of my work focused on PP presentations and browser based Operations and Maintenance Manuals.

In college I first majored in art, after one term relized I couldn't compete with the "real talent" of some of my fellow students and changed to the more "practical" major of business administration. I never thought I'd ever "touch art" again. It took a crummie economy and corporate mismanagement and pure fate to put me in a position as a temporary employee and the chance to work for an environment consulting firm and thus the opportunities I have today to use Xara

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Ross,

for a Canadian Green Card I will post my wheel of fortune here :-) - be warned, it's a loooong story with hundreds of bus stops all over the globe.

Would you send it as a postcard?

Let me know!

jens
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Cartographer by choice (but no job goverment cutbacks), then technician in land surveying (2 years)changed to assistant technician in radiology due to reduction of staff (4 years), went back to university, became a glacial geomorphologist, started my own consulting company (1 year), went back to university to get my teacher's certificate 11 years ago...
    1st computer 1990, been using CorelXara 1.1 (1996)and now XaraX mostly to enhance maths and science lessons. Next year I get to teach Draw (If Xara you be in french, I would persuade my school to get it) and robotics.
    Explore the possibilities ! Blender 3D !

Jens - Here in Canada we don't have "Green Cards" like the US. You can apply for a working visa, or better yet - if you are willing to start your own (or buy another) business you could get in under the "immigrant investor" program. I think Canada also lets in retired or independantly wealthy provided they aren't likely to need handouts.

Many Germans have moved to Nova Scotia in recent years. One of the guys in my office is from Kiel. I can get you his email address if you want to get in touch. He could, far better than me, describe whats involved in moving to Canada.

Regards, Ross

I REALLY AM on the dole at the moment, I've just finished college and got my C&Gs [network admin, IT support, system builds, etc] I.T. work round here is very thin on the ground unless you want to do a lot of temping. all the good jobs it seems are 'darn sarf.' I've just been offered a job as a data input clerk for the forthcoming census [our modern magna carta] that means sitting on my butt all day scanning documents, not sure if I'll take it though. I really need to get into web design though, I think I have good creative skills and a lot of original ideas.
    I'll tell you what my dream career is...and this often raises a few eyebrows; it is to wake up in the morning and actually LOOK FORWARDS TO GOING TO WORK! i don't care what it pays...
    sorry if thast reads like a CV
    cheers
    eric

Started taking engineering at Saint Mary's University (Halifax) ... swiftly dropped out after realizing I really didn't like it at all. Took residential drafting on board for one year then autocadd for one year then worked for a few months drafting for someone's one-man business. Left and decided to sell my paintings and I've been scrapping by ever since [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] .... now I just started doing webpage design last year and am busy with a handfull of sites for the same university I dropped out of 10 years ago [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] ... hehe ... the wheel of fortune rolls in mysterious ways [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

David K
    www.dkingdesign.com

Halifax , NS , Canada