Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Not wonderful, but it's the technique I was after! I have been wanting to make these for so long, and now I've found out how, I hope no-one minds if I share it here. These is my first tutorial here so please be gentle [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

I'll do this over a few messages.

First, place a frame on the scanner bed. I used the side of a cake tin with removable base. Fill with pasta and scan. Adjust highlights, shadows and midtones for the best effect, then make a note of the settings. Scan and import into XaraX. Create an unfilled square in XaraX, I used 512pix x 512pix which worked well. Place this over your bitmap until you like what's inside it. Remove line width, set view quality to normal and create a bitmap copy of the invisible square (mine was at 96 dpi - this is set in Utilities> Options> View... Bitmaps, DPI when auto-generated), true colour, no alpha. Now create an invisible square with each side half the original, thus mine was 256 x 256. Align to each corner in turn, making a bitmap copy of each, 4 in total. Then drag the squares into the opposite corners. The centre of the large square is now at the edges, so you can work on the ugly joins you would get if you tiled your original square. Line up the squares using guides, grid, align, and/ or zooming in close.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	19109  

Not wonderful, but it's the technique I was after! I have been wanting to make these for so long, and now I've found out how, I hope no-one minds if I share it here. These is my first tutorial here so please be gentle [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

I'll do this over a few messages.

First, place a frame on the scanner bed. I used the side of a cake tin with removable base. Fill with pasta and scan. Adjust highlights, shadows and midtones for the best effect, then make a note of the settings. Scan and import into XaraX. Create an unfilled square in XaraX, I used 512pix x 512pix which worked well. Place this over your bitmap until you like what's inside it. Remove line width, set view quality to normal and create a bitmap copy of the invisible square (mine was at 96 dpi - this is set in Utilities> Options> View... Bitmaps, DPI when auto-generated), true colour, no alpha. Now create an invisible square with each side half the original, thus mine was 256 x 256. Align to each corner in turn, making a bitmap copy of each, 4 in total. Then drag the squares into the opposite corners. The centre of the large square is now at the edges, so you can work on the ugly joins you would get if you tiled your original square. Line up the squares using guides, grid, align, and/ or zooming in close.

Now select the four squares and convert to editable shapes. They are now shapes filled with a bitmap, and you can remove chunks of the central edges using the shape editor tool so that a shadow placed underneath will show through. Now scan a few extra shapes at the same resolution, entering the same highlight, shadow and midtone values as the original scan, for consistency. You also need to cover the pasta with a sheet of pasta-coloured paper to keep the reflections and shadows on the pasta right. Draw a rectangle round the shape you want and create a bitmap copy, then draw around the shape and use clip view to cut it out. Apply a feathered edge to the new shape, and place it over the central join, rotating or mirroring as necessary. Using gradated transparency will help the new shape to blend in. I found it best to convert to editable shapes and ungroup first.

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	15264  

Now select the four bitmaps and create a bitmap copy (no alpha). Set a large page size and view the bitmap copy as a page background (Select it in the bitmap gallery and choose background at the top). This will highlight any ugly repeats. Your aim is to avoid any one area being strikingly different from the rest, or it will be too obvious once the pattern repeats. I've done a quick repair by pasting a shape over the area. You must repeat it at both sides, aligning the shapes and checking they overlap the edge in the same place. I used guides and lined up one very bright pixel on each shape. Make a bitmap copy of just the four squares, and the repair will appear in the copy. Finally, I applied some filter magic in the shape of the diamonds filter from this page:
    http://www.btinternet.com/~cateran/simple
    (or http://www.btinternet.co.uk/~cateran/simple)
    Some of these fantastic simple filters will create seamless patterns from your drawings, but the more complicated method above gives you full control.

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	405 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	2710  

I'm sorry this tutorial will take so long to load for those of us on dial-up.

Anyway, here's the tile I made at full size.

Jessica

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	16188  

I haven't had the time to analyze your tutorial, but the result is awesome!

I can already imagine several great uses for this technique.

http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...&ul=1101906325 [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Eye Site Web Design
    Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

That is awesome.

You could also fill in the blank areas with a rectangle the same color but a bit deeper.

Really cool.

What are you going to do with this background?

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Hahaha! The background is our supper!

Really I just picked pasta 'cos it would fit on the scanner. I want to make realistic (fun) fills to use in Xara, leaves for trees, bricks for buildings, that kind of thing. I'm an amateur and my daughter is always challenging me to make unusual invites!

I like to see tiles used as stationery backgrounds with a transparent text frame over them too. Finally, several programs like Painter, PSP and Expression can use textured page backgrounds, and I want to experiment with those as well. Maybe not pasta though!

But sorry, no finished artwork to show. I've just seen so many quality photo-realistic fills used in advertising... and I could not rest until I knew how they did it!

Jessica

The download time wasn't a great problem. I love your idea of using a cake tin...me, I'd just pour it all over the scanner, I'm not that tidy!
    Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host