Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

I think you can achieve this with XColour.

First, you have to do a trace of a bitmap with a simplified colour palette (otherwise it generates too many colours to manage easily), export as Artworks EPS, load into XColour and save again, reload back into Xara X. If you open up the Name Gallery you will see a lot of new named colours like XC001 through XC00n. If you select one of these in the name gallery all the objects with that colour will be selected and you can apply whatever fill you like to them. Of course when you do this they will no longer be associated with the named color so it is probably best to move these objects to a new layer before applying the fill. If you want to try it out, you can download a copy of XColour here

Brian

Mine is pretty short.
    1. let user set default font
    2. remove bugs in cleaning upduplicat colors in color gallery
    3. please do not add so many new feature that it slows the use and running of the application. i.e. coral draw's unending dialog boxes.
    4. add a spell check or alow test to be exported as text to spell check

For the second option in your last suggestion, a simpler work-around might be to type the text in a word processing program first, spellcheck it there, then clipboard it into Xara.

Of course, the easiest idea would be to have spellchecking right within Xara itself. But that might be the start of the slippery slope into creating more of a DTP aspect to Xara, which might upset the "keep it small" enthusiasts around here.

By the way, how come this whole "small footprint" business is so popular. On the smallest hard-drive you can get anymore -- 40 GB -- it would be possible to fit approximately 3800 copies of Xara along with Win2K; so the need to save HDD space is no argument. And, in my experience, when I give Xara a large task to do -- even on my 1.8 GHz processor -- it's bloody slow. So the small footprint doesn't seem to help much.

I make no claim to be highly experienced, nor to have great expertise about all this. So, please enlighten me.

Glen. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who think there are two kinds of people in the world, and those who don’t.

Multi page capability
    Spell checker
    cmyk export

I agree that this is definitely needed. If you paste text from Microsoft Word into Xara, it pastes as unformatted text. Hopefully you will have spell checked it before you pasted or the client will have sent you spell checked text. Invariably, clients change their minds, make changes or otherwise vascillate from from the first version of text they sent you.

When you try to paste text from Xara back into word for a spell check, it pastes as a graphic. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it seems to me that text into xara from Word is a one way street.

I certainly hope that Xara is paying attention to these threads. It feels like the other previous wishlists have fallen on deaf ears.

Sheffield Abella
    sheff@sheff.com
    www.sheff.com
    Sheff
    My Site

... create my own stroke shapes.
    ... flexible control of where the brush "stroke" start; not just reverse path.
    ... option to perform a flat trace (today the shapes are layered).
    ... Xcolour type functionality.
    ... super-fine control of the amount of anti-aliasing on export.
    ... mesh envelope.
    ... mesh fill and transparency.
    ... export in cmyk.
    ... ESC botton and progress meter.
    ... have a button that when pushed screams: "Ouch!"

Risto

risto@ristoklint.com

Visit my web site!

Sheffield: "I certainly hope that Xara is paying attention to these threads. It feels like the other previous wishlists have fallen on deaf ears."

That has been my experience with Xara Ltd. for about six years now!!! I've given up on suggesting anything, I just hope for the best.

K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

But I'd rather have that screaming button than a spell checker. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

At least the screaming button would allow us to vent our frustrations occasionally.

I'm changing my #1 priority to a button that screams when pushed. I'd also like to have a choice of several different screams, and the capability of user-created screams.

If we can't get this screaming button, Brian, could you create X-Scream?

With tongue in cheek....

Dale

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

Attribute on shadows

... I don't think Xara Ltd. is controlled by some evil force that makes it a point to ignore you personally [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

It is easy to talk about possible features; and we all love to do it... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] We do not have any business aspects to consider which makes the excercise a lot easier.

I'm sure Xara Ltd. is doing what they can (for Xara Ltd.) with the product road-maps and recources they have at hand.

I'm also sure that they listen and take note of suggestions, and execute what makes sense, business wise.

Sure, I also wish that Xara Ltd. could do what is right for every single one of us... but it does not work like that... anywhere.

Perhaps, you are taking this a "tinsy-bit" to personal? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Risto

risto@ristoklint.com

Visit my web site!