Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I noticed that I tend not to dispose of old obsolete software. For instance, still in its box, I have "Microsoft Money - Version 1.0". It dates from 1991 - in computer years that seems like a long time ago. Seeing it on the shelf got me looking to see if I had anything older. I quick two-minute search located "Microsoft Learning DOS" series of disks dating 1988! I probably have a few that are even older.

Throwing away software is probably like throwing away books. I don't do that either. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Perhaps it is because it cost so much originally it is so hard to just trash now.

Anyways, I thought it might be interesting if others looked at their stuff and reported on the oldest they could find. Also, why do you still have it if it is obsolete? Is there any significance to it or is just the stuff that clutters our lives? Sould we trash it?

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

I noticed that I tend not to dispose of old obsolete software. For instance, still in its box, I have "Microsoft Money - Version 1.0". It dates from 1991 - in computer years that seems like a long time ago. Seeing it on the shelf got me looking to see if I had anything older. I quick two-minute search located "Microsoft Learning DOS" series of disks dating 1988! I probably have a few that are even older.

Throwing away software is probably like throwing away books. I don't do that either. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Perhaps it is because it cost so much originally it is so hard to just trash now.

Anyways, I thought it might be interesting if others looked at their stuff and reported on the oldest they could find. Also, why do you still have it if it is obsolete? Is there any significance to it or is just the stuff that clutters our lives? Sould we trash it?

Regards, Ross

I have a closet full of old software that I have loaded for review and then deleted the software.

I usually wind up donating the software to a school or charity.

Oddly enough, Goodwill, a US charitable organization (not sure if they are in Canada as well) will not accept software.

I have tons of old copies of CorelDRAW which no one will accept! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

... game from the late eighties on a floppy somewhere. They are all packed up in a box downstair, which haven't been opened for 5 years...

I can't remember what else is in it! My wife wants me to check it out, or get rid of it. I refuse. I consider it my "time capsule"... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Gary - I would gladly accept a copy! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Risto

risto@ristoklint.com

Visit my web site!

a version of CorelDraw newer than version five. That's the one I used when I started with CorelXara. I'd like to try making a font - I hear even older versions of CorelDraw can do that.

Regards, Ross

I've got a copy of test drive 1 on a 3 1/4 drive complete with box in fairly good shape. Must be from about 1988. I also have a box for "gunship" helicoptor game which as I recall had really cool 3d pryamid shaped mountains which seemed so real on my green monitor back then [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Older than that but not really computer software related .... but I have an original Vectrex gaming system ( http://www.classicgaming.com/museum/vectrex/ ) which still plays from maybe 1984 complete with 4 game cartridges ... see I was even working with vectors back then .... ah memories ... I still recall my 2 million score in Mine Storm which ended with one dot which wouldn't expand into a mine like it should have to go to the next level thus ending my 2 hour marathon game in a stalemate [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] ... I still get riled up thinking about the inhustice of it all [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] ...... hehehe [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com http://www.dkingdesign.com/stuff/signature.jpg

I have Windows 1.01 (1985) and MS Dos 1.10 (1982)

... but I have my fondest gaming memories with litres of Coca Cola, pickled dill potato chips and the Intellivision!. That Navy warfare game rocked - at the time!

"Gunship" was hyper-realistic at the time! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Risto

risto@ristoklint.com

Visit my web site!

I still have my archaic QuarkXPress 3.1 for 16-bit Windows 3x, which came out in late 1992. And, almost miraculously, it works just great under W2K! And it's so small and lean by present standards that it really flies on my supercharged Athlon 1800 system. In '92 I had a 20MHz 386 with 16Mb RAM, I think.

I also still have my once-beloved XyWrite III+ DOS word processor, which I bought in 1988. It works, too, though I now prefer its Win version, NotaBene 5.5.

K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

Hi Ross,

I did a major dump of all the old stuff in 1998. Before that I still had CP/M software from the late 1970s (WordStar, dBase II, Lotus 1-2-3, MBASIC, etc.) ZDOS (for the Zenith Z100 which came out a week before IBMs first PC) DOS 1.0, Window 1.0, PeachText.

Lots of computer antique software [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Soquili
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update