Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Sepia/Duotone

My apologies if everyone already knows about this, but I came to it from first principles....

Problem: I wanted to create a sepia tone image from a bitmap photograph but after several attempts at using Sepia tone filters and adjusting colour levels in a bitmap editor I could not get the same effect as toning in a darkroom - the reason is that these techniques apply the same amount of colour to all tonal values in the image with the resulting loss of highlights and mid-tones.

It then occurred to me to try using good ol' Xara and came up with this technique based upon the tonal density of the image - and it only takes a couple of minutes to apply. If you make the sepia tone a named colour, then adjusting it is very easy.

Brian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sepia_2.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	19756  

My apologies if everyone already knows about this, but I came to it from first principles....

Problem: I wanted to create a sepia tone image from a bitmap photograph but after several attempts at using Sepia tone filters and adjusting colour levels in a bitmap editor I could not get the same effect as toning in a darkroom - the reason is that these techniques apply the same amount of colour to all tonal values in the image with the resulting loss of highlights and mid-tones.

It then occurred to me to try using good ol' Xara and came up with this technique based upon the tonal density of the image - and it only takes a couple of minutes to apply. If you make the sepia tone a named colour, then adjusting it is very easy.

Brian

Go to the bottom of XaraXone Tip of the Week Page 3 and find a method for converting a color bitmap directly to a sepia tone image [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

http://www.thuntek.net/gwp/flag.png

The techniques yield different results and I find them both very useful. Thanks.

EKY