Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi:

I have been asked to do an "artistic" rendering of a site consisting of buildings, roads, sidewalks, grass, shrubs, and trees. It will be from an elevated vantage point (neither at ground level or straight above but something like 45 degrees up). The buildings are to be very simple (no windows).

I will given the foot print of the structures and their relative heights. From this I can create an isometric like representation. My question is this: How best to represent the trees (the only info I have now is that the site is in the SouthEast US) so I think there will be some Pines and maybe some evergreen and deciduous trees, the Shrubs, and the Grass in general?

If anyone. Ross or Egg perhaps, could post some scans of some examples, suggestions for drawing them, and/or may be even some Xara files I would appreciate it. They can be stylized, but I would want to keep the style consistant between the various types of vegetation and the structures.

One idea I had for coloring the illustration was to make it look alike a pen and ink with a water color or hiliter wash over the top using transparent shapes.

Thanks in advance, John

Hi:

I have been asked to do an "artistic" rendering of a site consisting of buildings, roads, sidewalks, grass, shrubs, and trees. It will be from an elevated vantage point (neither at ground level or straight above but something like 45 degrees up). The buildings are to be very simple (no windows).

I will given the foot print of the structures and their relative heights. From this I can create an isometric like representation. My question is this: How best to represent the trees (the only info I have now is that the site is in the SouthEast US) so I think there will be some Pines and maybe some evergreen and deciduous trees, the Shrubs, and the Grass in general?

If anyone. Ross or Egg perhaps, could post some scans of some examples, suggestions for drawing them, and/or may be even some Xara files I would appreciate it. They can be stylized, but I would want to keep the style consistant between the various types of vegetation and the structures.

One idea I had for coloring the illustration was to make it look alike a pen and ink with a water color or hiliter wash over the top using transparent shapes.

Thanks in advance, John

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I can't think of any great examples right now but your assignment does spark some ideas ...

It is comforting that the assignment is to be 'artistic'. That's much flexible than being 'realistic'. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I haven't tried this in a rendering but have wanted to for a long time --- draw the scene as an isometric drawing so any landscape elements you draw can be cloned repeadedly as appropriate. On thought is to draw the coniferous trees as cones and deciduous as lolly-pops (spheres on sticks). The shapes could be given folliage bitmap fills much like those cool trees Masque posted in the Xara Gallery. Transparency effects could be used too.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trees3.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	16797  

Its a good start. Thank you. Was the fill for the tree on the Xara CD?

... if this fits in to what you are looking for.

Attached is a scan from my sketchbook... very simple tree shapes. Perhaps in a combo with Ross' fill idea?

Risto

risto@ristoklint.com

Visit my web site!

Name:	trees.JPG 
Views:	344 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	18106  

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Fanciful trees. Symbolic trees. Candy trees.

Seeing Risto's tree shapes makes me think to note that the trees in my first example could be "trimmed" to have a rougher tree-like edge. ie: After applying the fill, trim to the shapes of the leaves in the bitmap fill.

I can also imagine actually ripping tree-like shapes out of yellow trace paper (or tissue paper) and scanning them in against a white background. The imported bitmaps of them could be contoned to any colour in Xara (ie: before converting the bitmap to an editable shape apply a pen colour - it will contone the image to that colour). Given stained glass transparencies they would become effectively like transparent gif's that could be positioned around the drawing. The effect could be like a collage. --- Could be fun.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Name:	trees4.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	1004  

Thanks Risto.

May come in handy. I fill honored. I wonder if this will be as valueable as some of DiVinci's sketches in the future. I'd better download and hide it in a safe place. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Ross, edible trees. No one will ever be able to say they can't lick your Trees. (another smiley face). And great idea about the scanning. Thanks again.

Gel trees!

This might spark something :-)

John -- CorelDRAW used to have some architural clip art for architectural renderings. I'm not sure if it does anymore though. They were symbol fonts.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

A good idea. I'll check it out. Thanks.