Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

What's the difference bewteen the Arrange|Join Shapes operation and the Arrange|Combine Shapes|Subtract Shapes operation?

What's the difference bewteen the Arrange|Join Shapes operation and the Arrange|Combine Shapes|Subtract Shapes operation?

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

The combine shapes are for adding/subtracting/intersecting of overlapping shapes. It is a wonderful tool to play with and learn its really useful capabilities.

The join shapes command is different. With it you can take two or more lines, not necessarily crossing paths, and 'join' them so xara treats them as one object. It also works with shapes. I must admit I rarely find the tool useful. Perhaps some join-fan will enlighten us to its practical value.

I went looking at Gary's online xara manual and it doesn't look like he's addressed these operations yet.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

JOIN can be helpful when importing line art of other vector formats like DXF or clipart files. You may have "objects" which look like a closed path but are really a series of curve segments touching end-to-end; thus, a fill can not be applied.

If the curves are shift-selected and joined, then their points (nodes) can be dragged across one another one (a + symbol will appear)and "welded" from two points into one point. The curves can eventually become one continuous closed-curve which can then be filled. ...WHEW!!!

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

So that's how you do that!

You've helped me John. Now I know that join function can be useful.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Good idea John. I encounter this problem when I do some mirrored line shapes and want to connect them together. At that time I shift select both shapes and then move the nodes to connect them together. If I get it right, your way can be very helpful I case I wanted to connect more line shapes. No need to reselect them again and again.

Good idea.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Also Subtract and Intersect was used.

You only live once. DO IT. (without Windows!)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Just for the fun of IT.

the picture

You only live once. DO IT. (without Windows!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ausweb.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	5097  
    Just for the fun of IT.

" . . . At that time I shift select both shapes and then move the nodes to connect them together. "

After all this time using Xara, I never realized you could "node connect" two individual open-curved objects. Hit me upside the head with a hammer. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]