Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Pixelogic has a unique spin on 3d modeling. Specifically, they are in the camp of Curious Labs' Poser product, where pixel intensity is used to define polygon size and placement. This is not a new concept; John Knoll (Photoshop's daddy designer) has a now free product called CyberMesh that'll crank out a DXF "landscape" from pixel brighnesses in an image, and Alvy (PIXAR) Smith has often discussed the relationship between bitmaps and vectors in computer art at SIGGRAPH.

Thought you might like to take a look at "painted" 3D art. It's a little steep: $700U.S., but a worthy entry point for someone with no interest in pushing polygons around a screen!

My Best,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zbrush.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	11847  

Pixelogic has a unique spin on 3d modeling. Specifically, they are in the camp of Curious Labs' Poser product, where pixel intensity is used to define polygon size and placement. This is not a new concept; John Knoll (Photoshop's daddy designer) has a now free product called CyberMesh that'll crank out a DXF "landscape" from pixel brighnesses in an image, and Alvy (PIXAR) Smith has often discussed the relationship between bitmaps and vectors in computer art at SIGGRAPH.

Thought you might like to take a look at "painted" 3D art. It's a little steep: $700U.S., but a worthy entry point for someone with no interest in pushing polygons around a screen!

My Best,

I will take 6 [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Stu.

Gare, where did you get that figure? Pixologic's Zbrush is $399, straight from them. I believe $700 might be AUSTRALIAN dollars, but that's a whole different currency.

It's nice to see you back here again! But why are you a "new" member? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Danny Huff
    http://www.asherrocks.com
    (I'm the guy who USED to have a lot of excess hair)

[This message was edited by Danny Huff on October 12, 2002 at 22:07.]

Hi, Danny...

I filled out the online registration wrong! It is indeed $399 US for one platform. Here's the URL, folks.

Http://www.pixelogic.com

In any event, I wanted to show what the interface and untrained results look like.

I'm not a moderator (technically), because I forgot my password and it's not installed on my new notebook (my previously machine fried back in August). Hopefully, the note I sent to XARA will provide me with the password and it will not cost me $799 U.S.

The moderator in spirit,
    Gare