Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tutorial

Hi Egg,

Your tutorial is great, and works very well on by slow modem connection. I use IE5.5 and my dial-up connects at 26400 bps. Your narration was very good and I don't think you sound like a "country yokel" ;-) You should have heard me the first time I was recorded on reel-to-reel (before cassettes, heck even before 8-track) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
    Southern hillbilly all the way [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Thanks for the tutorial

Soquili
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Eric

Cool tutorial. Does this mean I'm going to have to add sound and movement to my tutorials and hire a producer, sound effect technician and voice over announcer? :-)

Is that what you sound like?

We should start a new topic with each of our voices. The follow up to Bruce's Where Are You thread. This one could be, what does your voice sound like?

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

We might scare each other, then again it might be exciting. I actually thought of sometime down the road, purely hypathetical, that some of us got to be pretty good friends and we all met at some fancy place for a night of partying. No?? Didn't think so [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

RAMWOlff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Sue
    Yes it's possible to create ALT type text popups in Flash. The easiest way is to create a button and on the mouse over frame set up an offset text block. You need to create a "hit" frame within the button just the same area as the mouse off state otherwise the complete area, including the text area, acts as the hit area. The only problem with this is that the pointer changes to a hand. I suppose you could create a movie to only play on mouse over as a workaround this problem.

Re the text I must admit that I used the method I have, as a company I am creating a site for presently has a parent company who have downlodable flash presentations, but they are 2Mb and I wanted to see if it could be done as a streaming file. Therefore the thought of accessability never entered my head.

Robert

Thanks for the further info. I really liked those buttons. I'll have to try and reproduce them in Xara.

Bob

Re the importing ani gifs...that's why I thought I'd post the tut in the XaraX forum as well. I've been using the program for years but there's always someone posting in the forums and me thinking "God, I never knew you could do THAT !

Gary

I wouldn't recommend it as a tutorial technique, it takes far to long. Flash has me pulling my hair out at times. But it does seem a good method if someones paying you to do it. I like Lotus screen cam, but at least in the version I have, it's not cabable of streaming. I definitely require the voice over announcer ;-)

Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks for the reply Egg.

No worries re: text it was just an idea. Your tutorial was so well thought out that it wasn't too difficult for me to see what you were doing, what with the arrows and the drawing of the 'mask' to slice the inside animation and stop it going over the outside one. Nice one.

Re your country yokel accent, I can't quite remember what an Essex accent sounds like (I used to be able to hear speech etc when I was younger) but does the country yokel accent refer to the West Country, Somerset or elsewhere? Sorry for being nosey.

Your way of doing ALT text is one I hadn't thought of - using a frame of the button for it. It sounds simpler than using a separate Movieclip instance... hmm have to try that out, thanks.

Regards

su
    "If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life." - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!