Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tutorial

Shannon posted a request in the Xara 3D forum, for which I've created a tutorial.
    As the subject matter is not Xara 3D alone I thought I'd also post a link here.
    I've used Flash to create the tutorial and used streaming so I'd also like to know if the tutorial streams okay in others browsers and connections.
    You can view the tutorial here:
    TUTORIAL

Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Shannon posted a request in the Xara 3D forum, for which I've created a tutorial.
    As the subject matter is not Xara 3D alone I thought I'd also post a link here.
    I've used Flash to create the tutorial and used streaming so I'd also like to know if the tutorial streams okay in others browsers and connections.
    You can view the tutorial here:
    TUTORIAL

Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

One that I may be able to use in the future.

I was kinda giggling a bit, your "ding" cues went from high to none, to an occasional 'klunk'. No offense Egg. It was so thorough and well done.

thanks so much.........

What program did you use to do this with??

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Good tutorial!

I also liked the clink/clunk sounds (did you have a drinking glass to which you hit a pencil or something like that?)

For future tutorials you could consider to fix a narration issue. If you are in a hurry, or have already seen the tutorial once, you may want to go fast forward so to say. The problem in this tutorial is that the narrator isn't killed (I am not talking literally of course [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] ) but goes on and on talking when you press the continue-button before the talking has stopped.

So a future fix would be to kill the voice when the continue-button is pressed, and then the next part of the narration would take over.

-Paul
    Paul the Gnurfmeister!
    Home: http://www.gnurf.net/v3/ | My stuff for sale: http://www.zazzle.com/gnurf* | Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pasoderholm

I work with flash everyday and it is a great way to do tutorials... another way that may be even quicker (and shows mouse movement) is with Qarbon (pronounced Carbon). Check out these links...

http://www.wfcentral.com/viewlets
    http://www.qarbon.com

Robert
    Robert Steflik
    www.wfcentral.com
    ASUS Laptop / Windows 10 ---- Xara Designer Pro X11 ---- Xara owner since version 1.0

RAMWolff, Paul and Robert

Thankyou for your responses. I created the tutorial in Flash as I wish to create a similar site for a client and I wanted to see how the streaming worked. I think I'll have to invest in a bicycle bell and clamp it on the side of my computer, it will save having to hit a beer glass with my graphic pad stylus!

Re the double / triple sound files, I realised this could be an issue (I've never added audio to Flash before) but I've since discovered the "stop all sounds" action and fixed this problem now. I've also added a better navigation system so the viewer can "go to start" / "go to previous" / "replay" / " go to next" so once the files fully downloaded the viewer has the option to move around at will. I've updated the on line file. I was a bit concerned that as the .swf file was 2250 Kb, the viewer might go forward to quickly, before the requested page was downloaded.

I also think I'll have to get one of my daughters to do the narration next time as their voices don't have the "country yokel" pitch of mine!

Robert, I saw your Qarbon site and think it's excellent (are the speech bubbles part of the program or did you create them in Xara?). However I wanted an audio track and not text, and also wanted something that loads without any delay. (This is why the XaraX window is actually all vectors and not a graphic. Zoom in to see what I mean)

Regards

Eric.
    Egg

... tutorial Egg, interesting effect with the oppositely revolving elements.

Just a note. It is also possible to add in Flash a tooltip comment box when you hover over buttons like ALT text in HTML. Using named instances, Movieclips etc. Although this isn't strictly necessary, and I suppose it is the web design part of me that is talking here where I am used to seeing alt text boxes on hover ... sorry.

Just a comment. I realise you didn't want any text as you mentioned. But maybe you could consider it for people who are deaf or hard of hearing, or even for those night owls who do tutorials in the middle of the night and don't want to wake anyone else up. I say this mainly because I am deaf/very hard of hearing and although (and credit to you for this) I did follow what you were doing; I needed to go back and forth a bit to figure a couple of things out. It is also possible I may have missed a tip or workaround, especially in the way you integrated the two 3D animations into XaraX.

Overall really good job there, also I might look into getting X3D, we had a trial copy a while ago but never got around to buying a full copy.

Cheers

Su
    "If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life." - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

"did you create the text bubbles in Xara..."
    "wanted sound not text"

Qarbon supports voice narration too, I just haven't taken the time to play with it. The text bubbles are generated by Qarbon and can be color coded, resized, etc... very quickly...

They have a library of online tutorials at their website that show you how to do tons of things in different programs. There is a whole section on Flash there that shows how to do things in flash.

Robert
    Robert Steflik
    www.wfcentral.com
    ASUS Laptop / Windows 10 ---- Xara Designer Pro X11 ---- Xara owner since version 1.0

Egg:

This was an amazing tutorial using Flash/Xara! It was really nice to actually hear your voice too, especially after all this time seeing your other helpful posts.

You have a funny, although VERY dignified accent! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] This was great fun and I almost fell off my chair laughing when your audio cue changed tone and you added the comment about your wife removing your beer glass!

A most creative post in many ways....Thanks again for posting!

Bob C.

P.S. I also learned Xara was able to import .gif animation for editing!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I think I'll have to invest in a bicycle bell and clamp it on the side of my computer, it will save having to hit a beer glass with my graphic pad stylus!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about MIDI? It should be possible to generate a suitable sound with almost any soundcard and basic MIDI sequencer and to record it to digital audio with equally basic wave editing software. You could store your basic 'ping' on disk as a .wav file and paste it into your voice-over whenever it's needed without ever having to put it through a mic.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I also think I'll have to get one of my daughters to do the narration next time as their voices don't have the "country yokel" pitch of mine!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't you ever! It's such a revelation to hear what someone at Talk Graphics actually sounds like that I'm left wondering about all the others!

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>