Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

At home, I haved a 650 PIII with 512M RAM, two hard drives, primary 30 gig, secondary 20 gig, Voodoo 5500 pci video card, Sound Blaster "Live" sound card. 19" Monitor.
    Windows 98SE. Soon to move to XP.
    XaraX is my main graphics program and the one I am most comfortable with, But I have Corel 8 also. For rastor based editors I have Corel's Photo Paint 8 and Photoshop LE. I use Photo Brush most of the time 'cause I love the interface. I also have Real Draw Pro from the same author, and have fun playing with it, but have yet to use it for serious work.
    Oh, I have a Wacom "indigo" tablet I use mostly for Photo touchup work.
    At the Cove I use a Dell 850 (I think) work station Which use 128M of the Expensive RAM and 850(?) PIII running on a 133 buss. 19" Monitor. OS, Windows 2000. System is very stable and in some ways faster than my home one, but really needs more memory.
    It has XaraX and Adobe Photoshop LE.
    I do most of my work and home and use the setup at the Cove just for editng and printing.
    John D

I have used XARA (in its various incarnations) since 1.0.

I use (still!) PhotoStyler. I'm probably the last one in the world.

HoTMetaL Pro 6.0. (and I write in pure code some)

and a few itsy bitsy legacy programs that have only one use.

I don't have the system that some have. I built my own and I will probably be making a new one somtime soon. I am still debating over a P4 or the new Athlon Xp. Now I have an old P3 slot 1 CPU at 500Mhz. ATI 128 rage pro graphics card and 380 Mb of ram. I have Adaptec scsi and about 20 gig of Seagate scsi hard disk space. Abit motherboard and IDE zip disk, cable modem, win 98.norton system works, etc..
    I mostly use Xara x, sometimes,Xara 3D 4, Photoshop 6, PSP7, Animation Shop 3, Flash 5, Swish, Bryce 4, ACDSEE, Real Draw Pro, Homesite 5, I.E. 6, Netscape 6.1 etc.....
    For my new system I hope to build with ASUS mother board, P4 2Ghz and 1GB of Ram, win 2k, blah blah blah.......Oh I have a 19 inch IBM monitor too.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

John D

I notice you're still using a PCI Graphics card. If your Motherboard has an AGP Slot it would be worth it to buy a good AGP Graphics card and double your graphics power?.

Currently at home I have a desktop :P3, 450 mHz, 256 RAM, 17" monitor, Wacom Intuos, which I run my main apps on (Xara X, PSP 7, Flash, Dreamweaver, RealDRAW) and an old laptop (P2) for word processing etc.

At work: P3, 500 mHz, 128 RAM, with PSP 7, Flash, Dreamweaver, plus I have access to an iBook, which has Photoshop, Flash, Director & iMovie.

Hoping to very soon get an iMac, partly cos of work in terms of DV editing & creating interactive multimedia educational apps, but also cos I'm getting rather fed up with Windows (not saying anymore!!!) Needless to say it would be very nice if there was an Xara X for the Mac!!!!

Amanda
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Wizaerd Guest

I'm a software junkie so I've tried a whole slew of applications, but the ones I use regularly are Canvas 8, XaraX, Cold Fusion Studio, Cinema 4D XL, DreamWeaver, ULEAD PhotoImpact all on a PIII 550 with 128 MB RAM with an i810 graphics chip. Nothing fancy or cutting edge as far as hardware gues...

Simon says
    "PowerDesk by Ontrack
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I think it is a pale imitation of the old Norton File Manager; this manages all the same things in a tighter footprint. It has saved finds, filtering, tailorable button bar and context menu and views. And ftp.
    The sad thing is it does not seem likely to survive my move to Win2k over the last weekend. Tragedy, tragedy, tragedy!"

I agree on the Norton file manager, worst thing they ever did was dicontinue it. I used it from the time it was Central Points. However, Powerdesk does work in W2K just fine. Install and then do an update.

Everybody, one more time. Buy RAM its cheap. Wholesale price for the good stuff was $23 for 256megs PC133.

Ich bin ein New Yorker
    "If you can do good, you should."
    W.K. Clark

This works fine for me in Windows 2000. I have been using it for some considerable time in place of the Explorer. I wonder if it will travel well to XP?

Chris

The best file manager is Windows Commander. Like Powerdesk, it's based on the old, venerable Norton Commander (which I still use for some DOS stuff). A full, non-crippled, non-timed version can be downloaded from www.ghisler.com. Registration is $35 - worth every cent.

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")