Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: white borders

OH USA - Home to Cedar Point (Roller Coster King)

Is there any way to get Xara to stop putting tiny white borders around bitmaps when you export them? I've been trying export to GIF, JPG, and even PNG and every one has this tiny white border around the edge. When I export a navigation bar, even with the transparent setting on, it's there on EVERY graphic.

Most of my web stuff goes on colored or patterned backgrounds. Ugly white border keeps showing up no matter what! Really frustrating!

Push yourself to notice the extraordinary in the ordinary.

Irene M. Kraus
    www.design-comp.com
    aka The Computer Lady!
    Web Development & Video Tutorials - Design Works Internet https://www.facebook.com/Design-Works-Internet

Is there any way to get Xara to stop putting tiny white borders around bitmaps when you export them? I've been trying export to GIF, JPG, and even PNG and every one has this tiny white border around the edge. When I export a navigation bar, even with the transparent setting on, it's there on EVERY graphic.

Most of my web stuff goes on colored or patterned backgrounds. Ugly white border keeps showing up no matter what! Really frustrating!

Irene M. Kraus
    www.design-comp.com
    aka The Computer Lady!
    Web Development & Video Tutorials - Design Works Internet https://www.facebook.com/Design-Works-Internet

Irene,

Xara is anti-aliasing to your white screen background. All you need to do is make a background layer with the color of your web page. Select what you want to export (do not select the background) and xara will anti-alias to that background...voila, no more white line.

Mickie

This morning I created a graphic heading for use in a DTP package and finished up with a border of something like half an inch all the way around - not a small border for what I was doing. The only way I could overcome this was to bring it into CorelPhotopaint and using the Crop tool just right click on the graphic and select Crop to Border which automatically removed the white border. A very useful feature of PhotoPaint but don't know if its part of PhotoShop as well (since PhotoPaint is part of the CorelDraw7 and Ventura8 suites of programs, I can't justify Photoshop at the 560+ GBP it costs in the UK.

Irene
    Some while ago you posted a message in the Scanners thread and I responded to what you said about the Umax scanner regarding the location of the Umax610S drivers on the Umax site. Can you have a look please and respond (if you want to that is) in that thread. Many thanks.

Tracey

Mickie, thanks for the tip! It does the trick all right.
    Here's a screen shot of a test:
    http://www.design-comp.com/images/te...ine_remove.jpg

Irene M. Kraus
    www.design-comp.com
    aka The Computer Lady!

Tracey,

If you're title has shadows/bevels on Xara creates a nice big border around the vector objects (to accomodate the anti-aliasing).

If you turn the quality slider right down to wire frame, you should see the offending borders.

There are a couple of ways around this one - one way is to create a bitmap copy, crop it to your desired size (draw a rectangle around the shape to the size you want to crop, select both the graphic and the rectangle, right-click, select combine shapes -> slice) and export that rather than the vector shape.

I'm sure there are others,

James