Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hi, my name is Rob and I just registered to this forum. I recently invested in Bodypaint 3D (standalone version for Macintosh) and I’m trying to texture the creature The Kraik* that I modelled in Amapi just for personal use and study poly modelling. Keep on trying for about 3 weeks by now but getting no-where. Tried all kinds of mapping, did optimal mapping (puzzled a map together, but did’nt like the end result)...
    The best mapping projection I found for my model I think is cylindrical, but I end up with cylindrical disturbings (see my JPEG attachment below).

My question; Is there a kind, patient BodyPaint 3D user in this forum who can help me with some clear advice how to create the perfect map or who knows how to get rid of those nasty circular disturbing when using cylindrical or spherical mapping? When looking e.g. at the maps of DAZ 3D Victoria I see maps that are symmetrically
    perfect - a little bit like, again, the spherical mapping technique without disturbing...
    When using optimal mapping mode in BP3D the polys are spread out over the 2D texture surface and are impossible to create back a symmetrical looking map (I used the magnet option, that works nice when you get the hang of it, but deforms to much to get symmetrical left and right sides)...
    Hope my question is clear enough, when not; don’t hesitate to mail me for more info...

Hope to hear from you all, cheers,

Rob

*(The Kraik creature is (copyright owned) created by concept artist Feng Zhu - check out his great concept-ART on his site www.artbyfeng.com)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Limit-3d_B.jpg 
Views:	519 
Size:	254.3 KB 
ID:	2329  

Hi, my name is Rob and I just registered to this forum. I recently invested in Bodypaint 3D (standalone version for Macintosh) and I’m trying to texture the creature The Kraik* that I modelled in Amapi just for personal use and study poly modelling. Keep on trying for about 3 weeks by now but getting no-where. Tried all kinds of mapping, did optimal mapping (puzzled a map together, but did’nt like the end result)...
    The best mapping projection I found for my model I think is cylindrical, but I end up with cylindrical disturbings (see my JPEG attachment below).

My question; Is there a kind, patient BodyPaint 3D user in this forum who can help me with some clear advice how to create the perfect map or who knows how to get rid of those nasty circular disturbing when using cylindrical or spherical mapping? When looking e.g. at the maps of DAZ 3D Victoria I see maps that are symmetrically
    perfect - a little bit like, again, the spherical mapping technique without disturbing...
    When using optimal mapping mode in BP3D the polys are spread out over the 2D texture surface and are impossible to create back a symmetrical looking map (I used the magnet option, that works nice when you get the hang of it, but deforms to much to get symmetrical left and right sides)...
    Hope my question is clear enough, when not; don’t hesitate to mail me for more info...

Hope to hear from you all, cheers,

Rob

*(The Kraik creature is (copyright owned) created by concept artist Feng Zhu - check out his great concept-ART on his site www.artbyfeng.com)

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

though I don't know anything about Bodypaint, but when you mentioned 'cylindrical or spherical' mapping I knew you've followed the wrong way. You need to apply the textures as UVW textures, that means to actually nail them back to the surfaces. Cinema and other apps do have this function, but I don't know if Amapi offers this function.

Maybe Stu can give you more info on this one - he runs C4D plus Bodypaint and is a master in this area.

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Thanks Jens for your response!

In my (modest) opinion I think I already apply the textures as UVW textures; I first saved the Amapi doc. as an OBJ file and opened that one in BodyPaint. BodyPaint displays an UVW coordinates icon in the so called Object Manager if the polygon object has any, which in my case is positive. Perhaps I’m doing something completely wrong in the BodyPaint UVW procedure, but I don’t understand how to carry on. Is it possible to ask Stu to take a look at my texture problem and give me some advice how to solve this? Thanks again and hope to here from Stu!

Cheers, Rob

Thanks jens

Rob - I am no master with mapping .Sounds like you have overlapping uv polygons,you can however use your magnet tool to move the UV points so that the uv mesh fits better,it also wont mess up your normal points/polys.

I am furiously looking for my texture links for BP3d but the one I want has now gone

Stu.

Try selecting the polys in your trouble area. Then go into Bodypaint and select Interactive mapping. Then chose Flat or cubic mapping. Stop interactive mapping. This should give you a better UV map to paint on for those tricky sections.

You may have to use the move tool to move the new UV map to get the look you want.

Good idea Randy

I usually use flat mapping after making after a selection tag for the top half and bottom half and also legs etc,then in BP3d I pull the mesh apart and use interactive mapping of flat for the top and bottom {or clyndrical} and cylindrical for the legs.But I believe it is possible to still have the mesh in one piece not ripped and in one mapping interpolation and just clean up UV polys,but I have not been able to do it myself properly yet.

Stu.

wow, now this is some very interesting stuff here... carry on folks... never know who may opt to try out BodyPaint... and yea, more info on mapping please

These are the exact areas which I too would love more info on... one models in which ever app then uses which in particular to apply textures with, and how... keep it coming folks, I have my pencil and paper ready

Thanks Jens, Stu, Randy for all your advice; but most of the suggested solutions I already tried before asking the forum...

I agree with Stu that it must be possible to keep the mesh in one piece and in one mapping interpolation and just clean up the UV polys...
    I tried this already with optimal mapping (see below) but some areas still are very difficult to clean up. I quess keep on trying by trial and error is the only solution here... Keep you all posted when I get new (and better) results!

That’s what you mean ain’t it GidGit?!

All The Best, Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Limit-3d_C.jpg 
Views:	405 
Size:	194.7 KB 
ID:	18156  

Optimal mapping is not very intuitive at all,I never use it now.I find the easiest way is to make tags and rip the mesh and select different mapping using "functions interactive mapping".

Stu.