Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Memory problems

I'm new to Xara. I've imported a picture (jpg) and wish to resize it to 60 pix per inch so that I can have it printed to 36" X 60" (2160 X 3600pix)banner by a commercial printer. When I resize and "test" it I get a "low memory" message although my computer has 768 Megs of memory. Can anyone advise me on how to resize this file. Thanks
    Kim.

I'm new to Xara. I've imported a picture (jpg) and wish to resize it to 60 pix per inch so that I can have it printed to 36" X 60" (2160 X 3600pix)banner by a commercial printer. When I resize and "test" it I get a "low memory" message although my computer has 768 Megs of memory. Can anyone advise me on how to resize this file. Thanks
    Kim.

And welcome to the Xara Conference.

When I read the subject line of your message about memory problems I thought, aha, someone like me who can't remember anything any more :-)

Are you running any other applications at the same time?

I would close the file. Shut down and reboot your computer and see if that helps.

60 LPI (Lines per inch) translates into a bitmap resolution of 120 dpi (dots or pixels per inch) which is not very high at all. However the physical size of the image 36" x 60" could be the problem. I wonder if it would help to make the image 18" x 30" but double the dpi setting to 240dpi?

Might be worth a try.

Let us know.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Click to make The Xara Xone #1

<A HREF="http://www.gwpriester.com" TARGET=_blank>
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

Its nice to have a little app that frees memory and tells you how much memory is available.

Here's a simple one that is free: Free Memory Standard

Click the link for Free Mem then the link for Free Mem Standard. The link for downloading is at the bottom of the page.

It also helps to start your computer with the bare basic programs instead of loading a whole bunch and eating up your memory.

http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...&ul=1101906325
    Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

Greetings,

I have ONLY had good luck if I resize the image to the FINAL PRINT SIZE.

I recommend Genuine Fractals for this purpose. And, of course, you will need to do some unsharp masking.

THEN, bring the sucker back to Xara and print to PDF. Any service bureau can read PDF files.

Rgds,
    tad

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

...might be Win98 or ME. In Win 2000 Pro and XP Pro you can add virtual memory.

I've set up a poster almost the size you mentioned @ 300 dpi and it worked fine. Sure, took some time but the result was fantastic.

I'm running 2 gig RAM plus 3 gig virtual. Old truth in computing: you can't substitute memory by anything else but more memory ;-}

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Hey Everyone:
    Thanks so much for your replies. I can resize my file and export to a jpeg file using the selector tool, but am concerned that my file will not interpolate to a smooth transition for my print unless I use the resize option under the bitmap effects sub menu. Is this true?
    I've increased my virtual mem. I'm using XP. but this has not helped.