Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Greetings fellow Xarahedrons,

I’m wondering what you folks use for slideshow presentations. (Other than PowerPoint). Of course, on my own computer. IrfanView works fine. But what if you wish to be portable, and carry a CD or Zip disk ??.

Lots of programs available on the web, but hard to sort out the good from the bad. Some claim to be able to create slideshows for webpages, but oddly, none of their sites had a visible demo. (If you can do it, show it)

Then there are the issues of music, transitions (I’ve given up on any concept of cross-fades), and self execution (not to be confused with spontaneous combustion).

I suppose I could learn to do animated Gif’s. That might work.
    So what does work ??? Someone must know ........

Regards,,,,,,,,,,,,,Tad.. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Greetings fellow Xarahedrons,

I’m wondering what you folks use for slideshow presentations. (Other than PowerPoint). Of course, on my own computer. IrfanView works fine. But what if you wish to be portable, and carry a CD or Zip disk ??.

Lots of programs available on the web, but hard to sort out the good from the bad. Some claim to be able to create slideshows for webpages, but oddly, none of their sites had a visible demo. (If you can do it, show it)

Then there are the issues of music, transitions (I’ve given up on any concept of cross-fades), and self execution (not to be confused with spontaneous combustion).

I suppose I could learn to do animated Gif’s. That might work.
    So what does work ??? Someone must know ........

Regards,,,,,,,,,,,,,Tad.. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Tad,
    I feel inclined to first point you to the Zymodules site, a sister company of Xara's. They have some pretty cool stuff there. But, I didn't see a slideshow applet in the repertiore (I may be wrong). I've noticed that some of their stuff uses applets developed by fella name Anfy. You can find the siteHERE.

I've used some of the applets myself ... they're nice. While you're there, be sure to check out some of the other useful applets and effects. The slideshow applet I've used in the past and the book flip and fader .... book flip , Fader here.There's a downloadable exe to walk you through setting up the applets for webpages. I have found it very easy to use. The applets are shareware, until you register for a particular domain. In the mean time, all are fully functional but if users click on the applet within a page, a credit (or nag) box pops up.

Hope this helps.

Wayne

Hello Tad,

I use a program called Slide Show to Go. It is shareware (only $10.95, but worth much more), you can get it here http://www.downloadit.gr/~v_shevine/sstg/sstg.htm
    You can add music, and transitions to your slides. You can easily make your presentation or slide show into an auto start cd.

You can also use irfanview on a cd. Add the executable file to the cd and an autorun.inf file. Check the irfanview help files and it will tell you how to do this. Regards, Joel

Hello Tad,

I own a company that provides Streaming Media Services. We use Powerpoint for most of our slideshows but that is for our own presentations. We have developed a few projects for other companies however that used Windows Media Author. We haven't done it a lot and I don't know if this is what you are looking for but it worked well. If you go to www.microsoft.com/windowsmedia and get to the download center you can download windows media tools. If this is still the setup they still have Windows Media Author will be there. A couple of the advantages are small file size and streaming capabilities. As far as transitions I haven't worked with it very much myself and I wouldn't know. Hope this was helpful. Any other questions feel free to get in touch with me at john@getintostlouis.com

John Furr
    President
    Get Into St. Louis

hola,
    You might use a very easy to set up dhtml script (you can grab them for free in sites such as dynamicdrive.com). Then you save all the stuff in a disk to make it portable.

These scripts are usually very easy to set up. Copy and paste stuff, and prepare simply a list of files (gifs, jpgs, even png.)

If you want to see some examples, take a detour to see the ones I have used in my "specimen book" pages. I have different auto-sliding, drop-down option scripts.

ah-- the url is www.typephases.com (Specimen book section.)

Best wishes--

Joanot
    -------------------------
    Joan M. Mas
    TypePhases: Dingbats and Fonts for yer computor!
    http://inicia.es/de/jmas
    -------------------------

Tad
    Do you want to just create a automatic running slide show? You could achieve this easy enough in html using the refresh tag
    example:

META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="5; URL=http://users.quista.net/farnell/"

(The above meta tag has to be enclosed in < > brackets and on one line. I had to remove these as they were actually refreshing the forum page for the stated url !!! )

You can adjust the refresh rate by altering the content value.

I've also used Lotus screencam for slide shows, which can have sound or commentry quickly added using a microphone.

Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The above meta tag has to be enclosed in < > brackets and on one line. I had to remove these as they were actually refreshing the forum page for the stated url !!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To show the full tag in an HTML document like a forum post, use the 'less than' and 'greater than' entities (ie &amp;lt; and &amp;gt instead of the symbols. Or disable HTML when you post, 'so that your post appears exactly as you have typed it'.

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

Hi Egg,
    Thanks to everyone for the feedback.
    What I'm trying to do is find a better way to communicate. The way it is now, I do some (fabulous) images, send them to be printed on a $250,000 Spontane ($$) then show them to a few people and stash them in the flat file. This is not cost effective. So for 50 cents I can make a CD with a slide show of my (fabulous) artwork, give them away, and save a lot of money.

Problems arise because, even with sophisticated programs, like Director, the Cds don't play properly on a lot of machines. Gary thinks I should chuck-it and put up a decent web site so anyone could visit. He's got a point, and I plan to do a better site (any day now). BUT, the look of a 10meg file, full screen, is not going to happen on the web anytime soon. So, I'm looking for alternatives.

Joel, I did check out SlideShowToGo. Amazing program for $11; and the programmer even helps people on a forum. However, it doesn't do cross-fades (yet). But what it does do is very fine.

John, I'm somewhat reluctant to jump into Windows' Media as I believe they are having a shoot-out with RealPlayer, and the "standards"; might mutate; but I should at least see what they think they have.

So thanks again to all. I'd best get started on site design (the Anfy apps are neat).

Regards.............Tad

My way to create fast slideshows is as follows. Select and sesample, add effects, borders on your photos through a batchprocess - such as imagerobot fro Jasc (www.jasc.com) Then I use PicturesToExe from Wnsoftto create the slideshows as one standalone exe-file. This are nice for CD´s, FTP, and email. There are several options, transitions,shadows, text, color and more...