Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Both of these programmes will not start under Win ME. I get an error message "..... has caused an error in XARADRAW.DLL and will now close."
    I thought an upgrade to Xara X would cure problem but no luck.

Very disappointed as good old Corel Xara has been my mainstay for about 5 years!!

Had this problem ocaisionally with Win 98 but is now permanent. Re-installing sometimes allows one start only!

Have 128MB RAM and all other programmes (about 15 are perfect)

Any cures out there?

Both of these programmes will not start under Win ME. I get an error message "..... has caused an error in XARADRAW.DLL and will now close."
    I thought an upgrade to Xara X would cure problem but no luck.

Very disappointed as good old Corel Xara has been my mainstay for about 5 years!!

Had this problem ocaisionally with Win 98 but is now permanent. Re-installing sometimes allows one start only!

Have 128MB RAM and all other programmes (about 15 are perfect)

Any cures out there?

Thanks folks - posted on Xara X

Bill

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Can anyone help Bill with this XARADRAW.DLL error that is preventing him from using his xara products? Originally Bill posted the question in the CorelXara Forum - which is hardly visited anymore. Gary suggested he repost here and I'm glad to see he did. Hopefully someone can help him quick!

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Hi Bill,

Sorry to hear about your problem. Have you done a search on your boot drive to see if there are multiple copies of the xaradraw.dll? If you find more than one copy, temporarily rename any that are not in the Windows/System directory. Reboot and then try to start Xara.

If that does not solve the problem, if there is a xaradraw.dll in the programs directory (i.e. XaraX in the Program Files directory) then rename the one in Windows/System directory. Have the one in the program directory named xaradraw.dll. Reboot again and try to start Xara.

I'm running XaraX on WinME and have no problems except for my occational goof ups [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

This question was also asked awhile back in this thread

Hope this helps.

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi Bill,

I've been thinking more about your problem. I did a search for xaradraw.dll on my work PC which has Win98 and Xara X 1.0d installed. The attachment shows the files located when I searched for xaradraw*.* if you have the same patched version of Xara X the file sizes should be the same as in the attachment.

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xaradrawdll.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	553  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

FYI, Xara X looks for Xaradraw.dll in its own directory first, so whatever version you have there will be used. Make sure its the correct one.

If you've been using CorelXARA since 1995, I presume it's 1.5. Is that the version that gave you trouble with Win98? What about 2.0? Have you ever swapped Xaradraw.dll with XDlarge.dll to use large bitmaps?

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean

First, thanks all for replies - it's good to know there are people trying to help.

Please note following: I have no xaradraw.dll files in Windows/System directory. In Corel Xara directory have xaradraw.dll version 1.0.0.232 at 229Kb.
    XaraX directory has version 2.0.0.35 at 552Kb.

Error message goes on to suggest re-booting but that rarely has any effect. Note that once every 10 or 20 tries one or other of these programmes starts and work perfectly so this is the worst possible sort of fault!
    Any more ideas folks? I really want this to work as there is nothing else as impressive for my needs as Xara!!

Further to my last post have tried changing video driver but problem remains.

Slowly going round the bend .....

Bill, I haven't had your precise "Xara" problem, but I've had a similar situation to yours with other programs. If you've been using several versions of the same program (like Xara and Xarax) for several years, via uprgrading etc, and you're now having trouble running the latest version in Win ME, then the problem is probably (actually almost certainly) the fact that you have various and dated references to old Xara and XaraX versions scattered throughout your registry. When you upgraded to ME those references remain, and Xarax and ME get confused when trying to run. That is almost certainly the problem.

The solution is to remove ALL references to Corel Xara and Xarax from your machine, which will take several steps. You need to very, VERY thorough though, so take no prisoners.

1) Use the Control Panel's Add/remove utility to remove Xara and Xarax. This will remove most of the references to Xara from your machine, but not all.

2) Delete (or rename) the directories where the 2 programs resided.

3) Remove all Xara/Xarax links and references from the start menu and also delete any Xara/Xarax shortcuts you may have on the Desktop.

4) Take a deep breath. You gotta access the registry! Don't worry, this ain't such a big deal as some people make out. Go to \Start\Run and type Regedit + enter. You will now be in the Registry Editor. Goto \Edit\Find and type "xara". The editor will find 20,50 or maybe 100 references or more. Be brave and DELETE every key that contains the text-string "xara". When you've finished doing that you just "exit" regedit and the editing is done. There is no save function.

That should really be it. Really a reboot and re-install of Xarax should now go okay. But as you've already identified a particular file xaradraw.dll as a problem I would also go into Windows explorer and search for any Xara files in the Windows or \Windows\system directories and delete them also.

You will now have a virgin and pristine Xara-free plain-vanilla Window ME system.

Do a cold reboot and reinstall Xarax.

You should now be okay.

Chris

As a final thought, if you're not running any other Corel progs on your machine, then when you're inside the registry editor, you should also delete every key reference to "Corel", in addition to the references to "Xara".

[This message was edited by Chris_F on August 11, 2001 at 12:47.]