Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I have some XaraClub referal links on my webpages. They get hits and my XaraClub account records downloads. Unfortunately those downloads rarely translate into purchases. I don't believe folks are as unhappy with the downloads as my stats might suggest. Rather I believe illegal passwords and the hacked versions of the Xara's programs are the problem.

If you do a search for Xara's products in any major search engine, you'll find lots of links to warz sites. I believe it is probable that most people who download trial programs also do searches to find more info, tips etc. It must be very seductive to them to also see the potential to unlock the full-version without cost.

I hope that Xara will upgrade their methods of protecting their software. They are doing great at providing superior products at very reasonable prices. Hopefully they'll profit from their efforts and continue to develop even greater products.

Do the users of this forum have any suggestions on how we can help Xara be more successful? Is their anyone warz sites can be reported to?

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I have some XaraClub referal links on my webpages. They get hits and my XaraClub account records downloads. Unfortunately those downloads rarely translate into purchases. I don't believe folks are as unhappy with the downloads as my stats might suggest. Rather I believe illegal passwords and the hacked versions of the Xara's programs are the problem.

If you do a search for Xara's products in any major search engine, you'll find lots of links to warz sites. I believe it is probable that most people who download trial programs also do searches to find more info, tips etc. It must be very seductive to them to also see the potential to unlock the full-version without cost.

I hope that Xara will upgrade their methods of protecting their software. They are doing great at providing superior products at very reasonable prices. Hopefully they'll profit from their efforts and continue to develop even greater products.

Do the users of this forum have any suggestions on how we can help Xara be more successful? Is their anyone warz sites can be reported to?

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I hope that Xara will upgrade their methods of protecting their software.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please, no! Xara X greatly benefits from being copyable across media, not screwing up the user's registry; basically, being flexible. All copy protection schemes hinder the legitimate user, whilst not actually preventing dedicated hackers.

Xara's predecessor, ArtWorks, had a dongle as copy protection. Despite this, cracked versions were available within a few months of release; this was before the internet and 0-day warez and all that. It wasn't an easy crack; I had a go myself once and got quite far, but there were always a few more hooks and I got bored. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I used the unprotected copy for a few months, decided I liked the software and then bought it. And you know what? After buying it, I still used the pirated version, because the dongle took up too much space behind my computer and caused the printer to spit out a blank page every time I powered the computer up or down.

In the end they made ArtWorks dongle-free, and good thing too. I would hate to see Xara's usability compromised due to some misguided anti-piracy drive.