Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Klaus Nordby:
    Just what I read on the http://www.mediachance.com web - sounds good. I've written Oscar - the brilliant programmer behind the app - and prodded him for more info, but no answer yet. Maybe I'm losing my powers of intimidation? Am I turninig into a knee-jerk softie like the rest of you? ;-)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been talking to Oscar a few weeks ago. At the moment things are going quite well and that's why he's hiring programmers which with no doubt will take some time. But it looks all very promising.

So Xara have been firing programmers lately and Oscar has been hiring them lately. Ouch . . . and to think that some time ago I had been hoping that Xara would buy up Oscar and implement some of his wizardry into XX2! No such luck.

K
    www.graphics.com (columnist)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

May still get what you want Klaus - at this rate Real Draw'll be buying out Xara to include XX's features in RD rather than the other way around!

Perhaps if we start such a rumour, THEN Xara might respond! I've emailed sales@xara.com at the start of this week (asking when a bug fix or new version will be released) with no response, not even an autoresponder. I've had better responses from companies in liquidation.

Thanks for this thread everyone. I would like to see a new release from Xara , but maybe I need to spend some time with Real Draw. I just upgraded to version 2.46 and I will be looking for version 3.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

I posted an example of RealDraws power. Well not a very powerful example but the text explains it a bit more. I will not give up on Xara yet but I'm 99.9% sure I will plunk down my change for RealDraw 3.0!! This guy has it in the bag, it's a nice program. It's really improved over the last year!!

Richard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Richard, I am looking for a replacement for Xara X - it's a good program, but loyalty to Xara's not going to keep my business alive and I think I need to give up on them and move on.

I've downloaded the demo of Realdraw and had a whirl with it, and had an immediate smack in the face due to it not exporting GIFs. I presume this is down to the crazy patents deals that flared up about a year ago, but it's available via plugin so no worries. It has no vector exportable filetypes though?

I read reviews or comparative tests between Illustrator, Freehand and CorelDraw, but I'm convinced that the outcomes (being so varied) of these tests depends purely on which company's back pocket the reviewer is sitting in.

I have to say, the last 8 years have been a little grinding - "Send me an EPS", "OK, but it might not work, I'll send you a few versions", "No, just send me the Freehand/CDraw/Illustrator file it'll be OK", "I use Xara X", "what?"....

I use Xara X to create web graphics in the main, creating some artwork for advertisments (EPS where possible, TIFF when there's anything more than solid fills), and the prospect of using a mainstream program sounds more and more enticing. Xara's been consistently late in delivering on promises, but right now we don't even have promises. Do you reckon Real Draw can really cut it, or if not, which of the big three do people like the most (or hate the least)?

XaraX is - despite it uncertain future and lagging behind its times - still superior to **anything** in terms of sheer ease of use of vector illustrations tools.

Today I wrote this to Oscar, the RealDRAW developer:
    -----------
    Oscar, I MUST tell you this: more than ANYTHING, what stops me from using RealDraw more is the lack of basic vector import!

The reason: RD just cannot compete with XaraX when it comes to basic vector illustration and vector editing! So what I need from RD is to import vector files exported from XX as AI/EPS - so I then can go on to apply all the neat effects which RD is capable of.
    ----------
    Sadly, RD cannot import any decent vector formats - so you're forced to create your stuff from scratch in it, which is painful compared to XaraX.

K
    www.graphics.com (columnist)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

I do not use any of the Big Brothers progs, even though I own, but do not use Corel Draw. It confused me SO much that I gave up on it within a weeks time. I was so frustrated and thought "if this is what I takes to learn vector graphics then I'll stich with PhotoPaint and not deal with that area". Then XaraX came out (I owned and played with CorelXara but was not all that happy with it) and I was happy right away with the ease of use and all the new features.

Real Draw, I believe, in version 3 will include more export/import features, but I'm not 100% sure. Klaus, when Oscar gets back to you, please post his responce. I hope that it's a thumbs up in that dept. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

XaraX can still beat the pants off of other programs in many areas but in all the special effects areas I think that Real Draw is tops.

Serif looks like it may be anther choice, link in the 'test forum' discussion currently running. It NEEDS another version upgrade as well. So who knows about that prog? They have upgraded all the other progs in their line up so I would think that Draw Plus is next in line!!

I know nothing of Freehand or Illustrator, I just don't have the money to try out progs like that and from what I hear they are just as confusing as Corel Draw, so untill something else wonderful drops out of the sky, it's XaraX for me.

Kate, where are you???

Richard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Kate (or anyone from Xara)? I noted that quotation about silence being power but, sorry, I don't trust the source (wrong side of English Channel).

Annway, it soesn't really make sense. Or maybe it does and you can all tell me I'm wrong, I'm listening. Here's why it doesn't work:

IF there's something to come, then they don't want to tell everyone about the goodies in case someone else rips them off. Well, that's the classic Xara response but all we're seeking is some indication that there will be something new soon, or is that really too much to ask?

ALTERNATIVELY there's nothing else to come, which would definitely be a shame. On the other hand, if there's nothing else to come, what do Xara have to lose by saying so? It's not as if we're going to buy extra copies of the same thing (I'm not).

So, Kate or anyone else in Gaddesden Manor, unless you've relocated, what gives? please? You have nothing to lose by telling us. Or have I missed it? OK, what, anyone, was it?

Jon
    Jon

... what do you guys want to accomplish in your art/designs?! Did you look in the XaraXone gallery? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Sure there are some tweaks in terms of import/export and bug fixes that should be addressed. But other than that there is NOTHING major missing in Xara X!

Sure I would LOVE to see some of the cool effects from Real Draw in Xara X, especially the lighting and texture effect - but to even compare the two is just silly. I had to go and try RD again - and unless I missed it AGAIN - how do you turn on the anti-aliasing? (for starters... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Oscar is doing an amazing job with his RD - AND he probably is a genius - and one who will sooner or later get an offer he can't refuse. But to compare RD to Xara X in terms of usability? You have to be kidding!

Is the silence from Xara Ltd. annoying - Most definitely! Actually, I find it VERY annoying... Does it really matter in the great scheme of things? No, not really. There are quite a few other Vector apps out there, which one can torture one self with when you are in the mood! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Anyone who is waiting for Xara to beat out Adobe Illustrator in terms of sales and features is waiting in vain! It's never going happen! Anyone who is waiting for the "big guns" to be as pleasurable to use as Xara X is waiting in vain also - it is not going to happen!

Will there be another release of Xara X? I hope so – but I do not lie awake thinking about it… [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] As it stands right now – who would say that Xara X is not a bargain for $149? There are crappy plug-ins for PS that cost twice that!

Daniel – if you whole business depends on the next release of any tool – better look over your business plan! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Snap out of it people!

Risto

risto@ristoklint.com

Visit my web site!