Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: I'm stumped! Image import scaling issue.

DPI is relevant as far as the receiving application if it uses it for initial sizing. Which most applications do.

So what you are left with is either resizing in Xara (or Illustrator, or...) to the pixel dimensions, or use a bitmap editor and change it to 96 DPI. Or automagically use the Photo tool and click on the 100% scale button.

The screen shot below has on the left the image without the DPI in the header. The one in the center is the one with the DPI in the header, but it has been changed to 96 dpi. The one on the right has had the photo tool/100% scale button. It doesn't matter which option you use. And of course, if you set your dimensions in Xara products to use pixel measurements, you can just do it on the info bar if you know the dimensions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-001118.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	100648

Quote Originally Posted by David.P View Post
    Great find, Luke! Thanks.

This indeed solves above problem a).

However, if I export a bitmap after having pressed the button you mentioned, the bitmap is exported at 1/1,25 size, namely at 205 x 205 pixels if the above logo example is used

Thus, problem b) remains.
    When I export your resized image using the 100% scale button, the dialog I get is:

Name:	capture-001119.png 
Views:	116 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	100649

And bringing it back into XDP, it is sized appropriately. It has been reimported and is on the left. The info bar reports it properly.

Name:	capture-001121.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	100650

The export size problem is further complicated by the export dialog which seems to have one or two bugs:

http://666kb.com/i/clrbahgf8svet8nof.png

Here is what I get if I leave the dialog at 96 dpi:

http://i.imgur.com/yk9gy0n.png

The image is scaled down to 205 pixels

no problem here entering three number [or for that matter four number] dpi - I'm inclined to think that's a consequence of your windows setting at 125%, which I am pretty sure the xara UI is not designed for [so not a bug, but a situation that is beyond it's intended use] - Luke might know for sure maybe

the scale % does not appear active for PNG or JPG, but is for GIF and BMP - no idea why that is, it's a feature I've never used [or had a use for]

as to why your image is down to 205 pixels - well did you resize it in the workspace? - if you post up the xar file with it in, together with the source file you imported, can do a more meaningful test other than just guess

Handrawn...you need to just click on the 100% scale button once you select the photo tool.

mike - the scale button on the first screen shot in post #33 that I was replying to, is the one in the bitmap export dialog tab, not the one in the photo tool Luke referred to ...

Ok, here's three versions of the logo in one file, 72dpi, 96dpi and 120dpi:

http://666kb.com/i/clrgrns4486baq4f3.png

The 96dpi logo exports correctly (at 256² px²) but displays too large, the 120dpi logo displays correctly but exports too small (at 205² px²), and the 72dpi logo is wrong in both aspects (display and export).

The *.xar file is attached, in the hope that someone can tell me a simple workflow where bitmaps are displayed AND exported correctly instead of garbled.

To me the only way at the moment seems to be the following:

1.) Set the internal dpi number to 96 using an external program like IrfanView or Faststone Viewer (since Xara also doesn't seem to be able to change dpi of bitmaps on the workspace)

2.) Import bitmap to Xara

3.) Set view size in Xara to the reciprocal of the Windows dpi settings (e.g. 80% when Windows dpi is set at 125%) --> bitmap is shown at 1:1 file pixel to screen pixel ratio

4.) Export bitmap at 96dpi --> bitmap gets exported at 1:1 screen pixel to file pixel ratio.

three-logos.xar

PS: Still can't enter any number with more than 2 digits in the export file dialog's dpi box, manually:

http://i.imgur.com/yk9gy0n.png

Not even with copy and paste, and neither by choosing "150" from the dropdown list and replacing the "5" by a "2".

Bummer, since entering 120dpi would solve the export part of the problem...

I'll look at the xar file meanwhile:

you can 'change' the dpi of a bitmap in xara - by making a bitmap copy and entering the new dpi - ok its a copy, but it's changed

as far as the three numbers go - did you reset you windows to 100% and see if that fixed it?
    Last edited by handrawn; 11 February 2014 at 08:39 PM. Reason: some spurious letters aka bad typing

Thanks hand, will do that till tomorrow since it requires rebooting.

Quote Originally Posted by David.P View Post
    ...bitmap gets exported at 1:1 screen pixel to file pixel ratio...
    Thanks for the file...Now, I am not running a localized version of the application, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

How are you determining that the file is displaying wrong? In what? Once the image with the DPI in the header is correctly sized, it exports at that identical size (the 256 px). At least here. But I am also not running Xara with the large fonts.