Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

A recent thread about fonts brought a question to mind that has been bugging me. Maybe there's a simple answer or maybe it could be a feature in a future version of Xara.

So programs have a pack-and-go feature in their software that allows all associated information to be shipped along with the working file.

When archiving projects onto a CD it would be nice to be able to also archive any fonts used in the project also. It would make it easier to restore that project in the future. But the function should also recognize fonts that already exist on the CD so there isn't a multitude of copies of any one font.

At the moment (after removing a font) I find it bothersome to have to figure out where on earth I got a particular font from.

Just a thought.
    Phillip
    --
    Phillip

A recent thread about fonts brought a question to mind that has been bugging me. Maybe there's a simple answer or maybe it could be a feature in a future version of Xara.

So programs have a pack-and-go feature in their software that allows all associated information to be shipped along with the working file.

When archiving projects onto a CD it would be nice to be able to also archive any fonts used in the project also. It would make it easier to restore that project in the future. But the function should also recognize fonts that already exist on the CD so there isn't a multitude of copies of any one font.

At the moment (after removing a font) I find it bothersome to have to figure out where on earth I got a particular font from.

Just a thought.
    Phillip
    --
    Phillip

That is an excellent point/suggestion, Philip. I frequently go though Bitstream Font Navigator and remove fonts from my active font list (they still remain on my computer however).

So applications, such as CorelDRAW, use the Panose matching system and if a missing font is installed on your hard drive, will load the missing font or suggest a similar font.

But archiving fonts with documents would be very useful.

I do wonder about the copyrights implications of this, however. Especially if you send a file to someone with fonts embedded.

On the other hand, CorelDRAW can embed fonts with a file so the recipient need not have the fonts installed to see the correct fonts.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Me too, I got the Bitstream Font Navigator and find it very useful. But fonts will always be a problem. You embed your Windows fonts and the CD has to be viewed on a Mac. Banggg you're in trouble. You want to use some fancy font on a site and you have to make a gif out of it.
    Adobe's Type manager seems to have a good reputation too...
    But Xara, being related to BuyFonts, could try and arrange something.
    Although I personally wouldn't like any software or CD install whatever on my PC without notification and my choice not to have it installed.

If you don't work against time, time often works for you.