Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Greetings!

Just joined, have one of those questions that usually no one has an answer for (Win blue screen of death like) but, nevertheless...

Anyone else using Xara (this has been a nightmare since Corel Xara 1.0 and happens in all machines I have tried Xara on... up to my present machine, P4 / 1.7 GHz, running Win 2000 PRO with over 1 GB of RAM... so, it's not hardware muscle that is missing...) Here it is:
    Serious Error from Xara X
    Access violation exeption at offset 0x00406146 (this always changes of course...)
    [Quit] button being the only option available...
    Result: Xara freezes, crashes, and work is lost.

This happens randomly, and 'weirdly'... Sometimes if some element is moved over the edge of the screen, or close to a guideline, sometimes after drag&drop of a group of objects/elements, sometimes when hand grabs desktop and moves it (assuming some element is moved also where it shouldn't resulting in same error), etc...

Since this may well have no solution, would it be a good idea for Xara to think about a little upgrade including all those so obvious config options some of us would like to see (I certainly would... like):

-Set defaults for templates (including fonts, etc.)
    -Make bars more configurable
    -Autosave every ... 'x' minutes feature (yep I do forget to hit ctrl+s when I am really into work...)

Anything in the works you know of, Gary?

Kindest regards,

Joao

[This message was edited by Joao on August 18, 2001 at 04:40.]

Greetings!

Just joined, have one of those questions that usually no one has an answer for (Win blue screen of death like) but, nevertheless...

Anyone else using Xara (this has been a nightmare since Corel Xara 1.0 and happens in all machines I have tried Xara on... up to my present machine, P4 / 1.7 GHz, running Win 2000 PRO with over 1 GB of RAM... so, it's not hardware muscle that is missing...) Here it is:
    Serious Error from Xara X
    Access violation exeption at offset 0x00406146 (this always changes of course...)
    [Quit] button being the only option available...
    Result: Xara freezes, crashes, and work is lost.

This happens randomly, and 'weirdly'... Sometimes if some element is moved over the edge of the screen, or close to a guideline, sometimes after drag&drop of a group of objects/elements, sometimes when hand grabs desktop and moves it (assuming some element is moved also where it shouldn't resulting in same error), etc...

Since this may well have no solution, would it be a good idea for Xara to think about a little upgrade including all those so obvious config options some of us would like to see (I certainly would... like):

-Set defaults for templates (including fonts, etc.)
    -Make bars more configurable
    -Autosave every ... 'x' minutes feature (yep I do forget to hit ctrl+s when I am really into work...)

Anything in the works you know of, Gary?

Kindest regards,

Joao

[This message was edited by Joao on August 18, 2001 at 04:40.]

Hello Joao,

You have way too much power there and it's giving Xara a wedgie! (just kidding)

Did you download the recent patches from xara.com?

Could be a video driver/card issue as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> This happens randomly, and 'weirdly'... Sometimes if some element is moved over the edge of the screen, or close to a guideline, sometimes after drag&drop of a group of objects/elements, sometimes when hand grabs desktop and moves it (assuming some element is moved also where it shouldn't resulting in same error), etc... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't mean to be a smart a@@ here but, the only thing I understood from this was "etc..." If Xara crashes just by moving objects around your page, that's pretty bad. I've never heard that one before.

Footnote: You may be able to retrieve work (after a crash).
    Please follow this link.

Regards, Wayne

Joao,

Assuming you've installed Xara's latest patch 2.1 - Try a upgrading to the latest graphics card drivers or try borrowing another graphics card and see if you can recreate the error.

If Xara crashes it usually leaves a copy of your file with a .bak extension in the Windows/temp folder, renaming extension to .xar the file should reopen with everything as it was before the crash.

Wayne, Alan,

Well, the machine is pretty new, so all drivers are up to date... and as mentioned this was hapening before with my previous machine, a Matrox, (this one is a GForce3)... It's really not muscle that is missing, nor updates.

XaraX's patches are also all up-to-date My Xara version is 1.0d... last patch is xpatch2_2.exe (unless there's some other one, but I don't think so...)

Temp files... I'll check that... could help (again, the possibility to set a default TEMP forlder for Xara would be great, rather than digging the Win TEMP folder).

Again, thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated!

Joao

I have no answer for your problem, hopefully someone will. But I just want to say, I noticed your post to the "Where are you?" thread, and was just absolutely thrilled to see that we have a new member from the PR of China. But your English is so good. Are you resident in the PR of China and not actually from there? Or are you a citizen? I have never had direct contact with a citizen of the PR of China in my whole life, and that's why I'm asking. I'd just be so thrilled to be able to talk to a citizen.

Hi Joao,

I am on a newsgroup of programmers from all over the world and one problem that seems to crop up quite often is people from coutries that have a country specific version of Windows ( I assume you are using the Chinese character set version of windows ) often have GPF problems with some programs.

Perhaps this is worth pursuing with Microsoft & perhaps you could try using Xara-X on a clean English version and see if you experience the same problems.

Kind Regards, Dave Porter
    DJ Software
    Perth, Western Australia.

If you have a problem which other people don't and that happens on successive computers, logic dictates that whatever is common to your machines is the cause. If all the hardware is new, you can safely rule it out, along with the drivers. If the OS is also different, chances are that it isn't the cause either. If you've changed everything except the software that's not working, you must conclude that there's a fundamental incompatibility between it and the setup of your machine (such as dual languages etc.). BTW, do you still have CorelXARA 1.0 loaded? Maybe that's the common element.

I had a persistent blue screen problem which I assumed was due to all the demo software I had loaded and removed. It was only when I updated my machine and the problem persisted that I realised my scanner was the cause.<blockquote>-----------------------</blockquote>I've attached two zipped registry scripts which cause Xara to create backups in the same directory the file comes from, or not. The file names are self-explanatory. BTW, if you have to do a lot of digging in the Windows temp file, it may be time to clear it out! Anything that Windows allows you to delete may be deleted.

Regards - Sean
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Regards - Sean

I have had a similar problem to Joao but not as bad by the sound of it.
    It occurs when I move an object drawn in Xara or possibly a bitmap in xara, and as I do so it goes off the edge of the screen. This can result in the program locking and work being lost. It has happened on two machines I have so its not machine specific. Its not a great problem as for me its very rare, I just mention it to let him know its not a unique problem for him.
    Unfortunatly I have not been able to pinpoint wehere the problem may be. really the only common factor between the two machines is Xara X and windows 98SE.