Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: on screen ruler

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

I would like to inform you about a very handy tool for all designers: Reglo, the on-screen ruler. Especially for web designers. In addition, you can scale your browser or any application window to a specific size.

Check it out here:

REGLO

No, I am not affiliated with Basta Computing, and I am not promoting them. It's just a great tool I am already using for years now.

jens
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

I would like to inform you about a very handy tool for all designers: Reglo, the on-screen ruler. Especially for web designers. In addition, you can scale your browser or any application window to a specific size.

Check it out here:

REGLO

No, I am not affiliated with Basta Computing, and I am not promoting them. It's just a great tool I am already using for years now.

jens
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

thanks, Jens. I have another one ( http://www.microfox.com/ ) but I will certainly visit and compare.

If you don't work against time, time often works for you.

Why do you think this is better than Xara's on-screen rules, Jay?

Just curious.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Rarely So Humble...

I'm not sure.. haven't tried the others, but I'm getting the impression that they can be placed on screen at any angle, next to anything on any window. I don't believe you can move Xara's rulers to the page. You can move the origin, but not the ruler. Am I wrong, Gary?

Glenn
    Glenn

Gary,

imagine you open a web page with a picture from your client and want to know it's correct size. You just click REGLO, move the mouse to the upper right corner (the magnifier zooms into any level at the cursor position!), click the first pixel and the ruler sets it's zero point exactly to that pixel. Then you read the width, repeat it with the height. Or you have to measure an angle of an object - even in XARA X it's possible! Very fast and convenient. No more guesswork. Not to mention the built-in color picker with 4 different color schemes, set- & get size functions etc. Reglo is kind of like a dimensioning tool in CAD applications.

jens
    --------------------//--
    --------------------//--

Thanks Jay. That does sound like a cool utility. It sounds like something that would come in handy in CorelDRAW. I have never been able to determine what the equivilant to Xara's 100% is in DRAW. 100% is not even close to 100% at 96 dpi.

Glenn -- Yes, you are not wrong :-) As far as I know the rulers are permenantly docked to the screen. However, you can drag the Drag X,Y crosshair to the corner of an object and the ruler will reflect the units starting in the lower left corner (0,0).

Can't measure angles. However, poor man's answer is to draw a line at one end of the angle you wish to measure, double click to enter rotate/skew mode, drag the rotation bulls eye to one end of the line, then rotate the line to match the angle. The Angle will be shown in the Angle of Selection text entry box on the Infobar, but only as long as the mouse is down. As soon as the rotation is dropped, the angle disappears.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Rarely So Humble...