Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: annoying bug?

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Hi Xara Team,

every time I'm working with Xara I leave at least the layer open and just minimize the window.. However, when the system goes into standby mode and I resume from standby, the pesky layer gallery and any other gallery I've left open stays on top of the screen - without the Xara window. The only way to get rid of it is to close the gallery/galleries, or to maximize and minimize the Xara window again.

Maybe you can fix it in the next patch?

See sample below.

jens
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara-paletteonscreen.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	5561  
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Hi Xara Team,

every time I'm working with Xara I leave at least the layer open and just minimize the window.. However, when the system goes into standby mode and I resume from standby, the pesky layer gallery and any other gallery I've left open stays on top of the screen - without the Xara window. The only way to get rid of it is to close the gallery/galleries, or to maximize and minimize the Xara window again.

Maybe you can fix it in the next patch?

See sample below.

jens
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Jens,

I don't have this problem - XaraX1 and Windows XP, galleries minimise with the main window.

Christine
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

Jens, I thought I was going mad: that also happens to me sometimes.

My PC doesn't go into Standby though, so something else must be triggering it. I use the 'Show Desktop' icon in the Quick Launch toolbar on the taskbar a lot, and have twin monitors so I had presumed there was a sequence of events which trigger the same effect as you have. I've tried this morning but have been unable to reproduce it.

It happened yesterday though, I think I right clicked on Xara's taskbar icon and selected Restore to get Xara back (but clicking the taskbar button didn't do anything).

Someone else mentioned elsewhere recently another annoyance of using twin screens, if monitor resolutions are different and Xara is in the higher resolution, a drawing will not open to be greater in height than the lower resolution screen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot.png 
Views:	368 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	7814  

Christine,

yes, they do minimize, but if your machine goes into standby and wakes up again, the galleries are on top of the desktop, even though Xara itself remains minimized...

Daniel,

I don't know anything about a dual monitor issue - I only run seperate monitors on different machines ;-}

The bug I've mentioned is on a single monitor system...

Or am I the only one who's machine automatically goes into standby after 15 minutes? (it's my laptop, so I've set it up this way. The other machines keep running 24/7...)

jens
    --------------------//--
    --------------------//--

Jens, I just put my PC into standby and got the same thing with the galleries.

Windows XP Pro SP2 and Xara X¹ 1.1d CD

Jens, we've tested this internally and were able to create it. So it's been logged into our system to be corrected.

Thanks for alerting us to it.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

It isn't just standby mode that does it. Minimizing and restoring another application can do it. I've never been able to track down a trigger.

BTW, I don't think it's just X1 leaving palettes on the desktop. Right now, I'm having trouble with a tooltip from Paint Shop Pro 9 that should be minimized.

AAMOF, there's no reason for the tooltip to be floating around at all. I have no files open in PSP, and that tooltip should have gone away two steps before I saved and closed the last file.

Perhaps XP is as much to blame as Xara and PSP.

Daniel, I was able to recreate your problem and that's also gone into our database to be investigated. Thanks.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.