Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hello. I'm a serious amateur painter who has become increasingly interested in graphics and digital art, both as an adjunct to nondigital fine art and for itself. I know a lot of people online who run lit zines, etc, and so I've been fielding an increasing number of requests for artwork and help.

I've used Paint Shop Pro 5 until now, but even though I had the manual, I learned what little I know through trial-and-error. I'd like to learn more, and after doing some research I'm ordering Xara X. May I ask some questions?

1. Do you find Xara X works well on a PC running the Windows ME operating system?

2. I'm getting a Wacom Intuos tablet. Does Xara X work with most of its features?

3. What would be a good book to order for learning about digital art, regardless of software? Also, is there a good book out about Xara X?

Thank you. Good to be here.

Ro

Hello. I'm a serious amateur painter who has become increasingly interested in graphics and digital art, both as an adjunct to nondigital fine art and for itself. I know a lot of people online who run lit zines, etc, and so I've been fielding an increasing number of requests for artwork and help.

I've used Paint Shop Pro 5 until now, but even though I had the manual, I learned what little I know through trial-and-error. I'd like to learn more, and after doing some research I'm ordering Xara X. May I ask some questions?

1. Do you find Xara X works well on a PC running the Windows ME operating system?

2. I'm getting a Wacom Intuos tablet. Does Xara X work with most of its features?

3. What would be a good book to order for learning about digital art, regardless of software? Also, is there a good book out about Xara X?

Thank you. Good to be here.

Ro

Hey, I am 14 and running Windows Me and Xara Runs fine ! Great to have you here ! make sure tha if you have any more ?? just post them casue these guys are GREAT !

Ross2

Smile, it makes people wonder what your are thinking.... or just tell them...
    Well, I know that i won't...

Welcome to the forums.
    1. I haven't heard of any problems between XaraX an Windows ME
    2. I use a Wacom tablet and yes it uses most features, altho I don't think it utilizes the tilt feature.
    3. The best place to learn about XaraX is from Gary Priester's Tutorials and his Web Xaelot features. XaraX also comes with a large set of tutorial movies on CD.
    I'm sure you won't regret your purchase.
    Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Ro, and welcome! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

To my knowledge there are no issues with Xara X and Win Me, I have some friends running it on that OS with no problems whatsoever.

I currently have a Wacom Grapphire and if thats anything to go by then the Intuos will be a fantastic experience, I have spent many a hour (that all seem like a few minutes!) using X with my tablet, so consider it highly recommended!

As for the books... well, thats a very open arena I'm afraid, I guess it comes down to the sort of books you're used to dealing with. I find I get on better with more reference-style books, and have a tendency to go for books by a number of publishers, namely.. New Riders, Friends of Ed and PeachPit Press to name but a few. I found a few hours in a decent bookstore is often the most productive but it depends on how you are I guess. I suppose I'm a bit of an oddball! :P

Anyhow, please feel free to ask anything here, we're all very happy to help when and where we can.

d-sine

:: d-sine :: www.d-sine.org
    :: d-sine :: www.d-sine.org

Why don't you download the trial software
    from the Xara site and give it a go.
    That way you can make up your own mind.
    As a painter I am not finding the transition
    that easy, but I am enjoying the change
    and the challenge. Hope to see you posting some
    of your work soon.

Brian.

And imho it's a great combination.

As far as art is concerned, check the Featured Artists galleries at www.xaraxone.com [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] .

Roman

Thank you, all. Yes, I'm thinking of doing the trial, though since the Xara site says you should uninstall the trial once you install the CD, I might wait and do a clean CD install.

Ro

Don't woory about the trial, there's never been a problem installing the full version after the trial.

The beauty of Xara is that it is so small and compact that it doesn't go spraying DLL's and other files and registry settings all over your computer.

I reccomend that you do the trial, as it can do everything the full version can.

I hope you enjoy using Xara, and it should be a good if different experience.

Michael Ward
    http://LeighCenturions.net