Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

We fixed one of the problems that we knew existed in using Wine (which is not really an emulator, and should be fast, if it works at all) namely that of using the xarafont specific bitmap font. Wine didn't like that. If the font is now missing X1 continues to work and uses Arial instead. But while that aspect should now be better on Wine, the fact we use GDI+ and MSXML both of which are relatively recent OS additions, probably mean that there's less chance of Xara X1 working under Wine than before.

I'd love to be able to get it to work under WINE and just need access to some Linux gurus who can tell us what's really going on and what really needs fixing to get it to work. This is by far the best approach to getting Xara X on Linux.

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

Jens,

are you not into Linux? Maybe you could help port xara over without taking 1/2 mil to do it.
    John/DOT

As Jens originally suggested, best if I use my 586 to run as a Linux server and run Xara X¹ on my new machine, when I get it. In view of what Charles says, there are at present inherent problems getting Xara X¹ to run on Linux.

But there's an interesting opportunity here for Xara - Linux has the Gimp for bitmap editing, but there is yet to be a really decent vector app for Linux. I'm sure it's been mentioned before in the Xara X forum, but maybe Xara should give serious consideration to porting Xara X¹ to Linux. Imagine having the stability of Linux and the speed of Xara X!

From what I've been reading, Linux programming has gone seriously into multimedia territory over the last year, with media players and converters, CD/DVD burners, etc, even video editors, now available. Apparently there is a desire out in the professional industry to work in Linux. Audio professionals say they would love to be able to have the stability of Linux to do their work in. It's early days yet, but if there is an undercurrent of desire amongst professionals to have Linux as their OS of choice then we may yet see development of major graphics, 3D animation, video, audio and multimedia apps for Linux. In the meantime wouldn't it be a good idea for Xara to get the jump on the other software developers?

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

John,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> are you not into Linux? Maybe you could help port xara over without taking 1/2 mil to do it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am running Linux on my desktop machines, but not on my new laptop. And because I've left the desktop machines in Germany, I just have W XP now because Linux doesn't support the aspect ratio of 1680 x 1050 ;-}. Not yet, they are working on it.

So currently I'm sort of stuck in the middle of nowhere - without Linux. Otherwise I'd already have tested it... but at the end of the year I'll return for a few weeks to Germany, and then I'll check it for sure!
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

How about you Richard?

I think Richard dabbles a little in linux? Have you had a chance to try x1 in linux? Or anyone else out there?
    John/DOT