Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I notice that the system requirements of Xara X¹ are:
    Microsoft Windows 98/Me/2000/XP
    Pentium processor or better
    64Mb RAM
    20Mb available hard disk space
    Minimum screen resolution of 640x480

I would like to know if it will be possible to run Xara X¹ on my old 586?
    My computer's specs are as follows:
    586 133 MHz computer (almost equivalent to a Pentium 90),
    32 Mb RAM,
    1.2 Gb primary hard drive,
    513 Mb second hard drive which holds virtual memory (Windows swap file), Temporary Internet Files (Internet Explorer cache) and the Windows Temp file,
    1 Mb video card,
    15 inch monitor with optimum resolution of 800 x 600 in High Colour,
    Windows 95B.

If Xara X¹ runs on my system it would obviously be slow (I'm used to that on my old dinosaur of a computer! I just have to be patient), but would it be just too slow to be of any use?

I have Corel Photo-Paint 7 installed on my system, which works fine as long as I don't work with very large files. And I have Dreamweaver 2 and Flash 4 installed as well, which also work fine.

I notice that the system requirements of Xara X¹ are:
    Microsoft Windows 98/Me/2000/XP
    Pentium processor or better
    64Mb RAM
    20Mb available hard disk space
    Minimum screen resolution of 640x480

I would like to know if it will be possible to run Xara X¹ on my old 586?
    My computer's specs are as follows:
    586 133 MHz computer (almost equivalent to a Pentium 90),
    32 Mb RAM,
    1.2 Gb primary hard drive,
    513 Mb second hard drive which holds virtual memory (Windows swap file), Temporary Internet Files (Internet Explorer cache) and the Windows Temp file,
    1 Mb video card,
    15 inch monitor with optimum resolution of 800 x 600 in High Colour,
    Windows 95B.

If Xara X¹ runs on my system it would obviously be slow (I'm used to that on my old dinosaur of a computer! I just have to be patient), but would it be just too slow to be of any use?

I have Corel Photo-Paint 7 installed on my system, which works fine as long as I don't work with very large files. And I have Dreamweaver 2 and Flash 4 installed as well, which also work fine.

As you can see from the system requirements it will not run under Windows 95.

Christine
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

If I were you I'd try installing it. CorelXara certainly ran on 586's. If I remember correctly it actually was extremely fast compared to other illustration software available at the time. If you do try installing let us know how it turns out for you.

Regards, Ross

PS - I have a buddy who keeps an old 386 running continuously in his sign shop running a piece of equipment. There is no monitor on it and it has had an inch of dust on it for years. Still, it chuggs away. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

We changed the system requirements mostly because we can't justify testing on old systems such as Windows95, not because we know it doesn't work. It may well work fine, so I'd just try installing the trial version, as Ross suggests.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.

When I get my new computer, hopefully by the end of the year, I won't have to worry anymore about software being able to run on my system. I'll use my 15" monitor as my second screen in a dual monitor system and keep my 586 as nostalgia. Hey, it might be valuable as an antique collector's item one day!

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

"Hey, it might be valuable as an antique collector's item one day!" - Taz

It would be worth more as a doorstop. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
    John/DOT

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I'll use my 15" monitor as my second screen in a dual monitor system and keep my 586 as nostalgia. Hey, it might be valuable as an antique collector's item one day! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, sounds like a plan. But you can actually turn it into a sleek server: install Linux and watch how fast it runs! Then connect the two machines and have fun. Use the Linux for your Internet access and mails - no more hassle with viruses is one of the advantages!
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It would be worth more as a doorstop. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    LOL!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Well, sounds like a plan. But you can actually turn it into a sleek server: install Linux and watch how fast it runs! Then connect the two machines and have fun. Use the Linux for your Internet access and mails - no more hassle with viruses is one of the advantages! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Cool idea, jens! Never thought of using my 586 as a server. It seemed too meager. Although, having a second hard drive to handle virtual memory, Internet Explorer cache and the Windows Temp file makes it very stable.
    I actually have a friend who uses his older system (a Pentium II) for just Internet access and email, but uses Windows. But with Linux, that's the way to go alright - stable and secure! How hard/easy would it be to get the Linux server to talk to the Windows machine?