Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi all, am trying to create some text in Xara 3D that has a really shiny and metallic look to it... as though it were highly-reflective chrome. Any advice? Am thinking that maybe a texture for the text face would be great here, but I don't have one to use...

Regards,
    Bob

Hi all, am trying to create some text in Xara 3D that has a really shiny and metallic look to it... as though it were highly-reflective chrome. Any advice? Am thinking that maybe a texture for the text face would be great here, but I don't have one to use...

Regards,
    Bob

Hi Bob, do you mean something like this? It's just two objects with gradations, different bevels and a faint shadow for no good reason - no texture bitmap needed, just real simple. :-)

OOOOPS! I now saw, after posting, that you meant X3D, and not XX! I can't help with that at the moment, so I'll just leave this sample here - for what it's worth.

K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara

[This message was edited by Klaus Nordby on July 10, 2002 at 18:13.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	timeliner_head.jpg 
Views:	524 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	16067  
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

Default Re: metallic text in Xara 3D

Hi Klaus,
    If anything is still active here, I would geatly appreciate a How to description on creating a small label of exact same coloration and metallic look as your TimeLiner thumb nail. Many thanks
    Bob Decker

Default Re: metallic text in Xara 3D

Bob

Klaus is long gone and has not checked in in probably 8-10 years.

Create a multi-color gradient fill in Xtreme using the colors from Klaus's example. Apply the fill to a rectangle and make it wide enough to cover all the text. Export the fill rectangle as a PNG or JPEG file.

In X3D select the text then select Texture and apply your bitmap.

You can reverse engineer the two attached files.

If your copy of Extreme is older you will get an error warning that the files were created with a newer version. This should not be a problem. Just open the file.
    Attached Files Attached Files