Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

......Help! When I tried to open the file, these two messages appeared (in succession, not simultaneously) - all other files seem okay. Presumably it's gone for ever (sob), but can I stop this happening again? Very grateful for any info. Penny
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	errors.jpg 
Views:	501 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	17922  

......Help! When I tried to open the file, these two messages appeared (in succession, not simultaneously) - all other files seem okay. Presumably it's gone for ever (sob), but can I stop this happening again? Very grateful for any info. Penny

I did some research on the net and in newsgroups and only found less than 10 articles about people mentioning this error, but nobody had a solution. I wouldn't worry about it too much and if you do you can always contact Xara.

Your Xara file may still be in there intact.

That's the first place I look when Xara crashes. Usually I find it.

Sheffield Abella
    sheff@sheff.com
    www.sheff.com
    Sheff
    My Site

I use a little continous-backup program called DiskKeeper from PowerQuest.com. It watches the folders where I do my work, and whenever I save a file DiskKeeper copies it in the background to another location. I can set it to save as many and as few versions as I like, usually I set it to 10. That way, I can always go back to an earlier, uncorrupted file - or if I do something stupid in a file and save it. This program is great - it saved my bacon as late as today, when something mysteriously disappeared in an important file. There may be other auto-backup apps out there, but I'm so pleased with DiskKeeper that I have never bothered to look for others of this kind. Check it out.

K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

Klaus, can you help me out, because I can't find the program you mentioned. Searched everywhere on the Powerquest website. Also didn't have a lot of luck with a search engine.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Penny

What a bummer! I think many of us have had this happen and it is maddening to say the least.

Try looking in your Temp directory and your Windows/Temp directory. Sometimes there is a backup copy of your file which you can rename to .xar and at least have your last saved file restored.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

I think I remember and if I'm wrong then this may jog someone elses memory of what to do.

Type into your RUN box: regedt or regedt32 (the missing "i" in "edit" is supposed to be missing) then go here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Xara/XaraX/Version 3.0/Options/Preferences then in the line that says: SaveOnExit: REG_DWORD:

make sure the 0X0 is changed to 0X1 by double clicking on the line itself you will get a small dialog box that will pop up and then change the "0" to a "1" and hit the OK button and then close out.

So if Xara shuts down because of an error it will back up the file automatically. It will back up the file in what ever folder you save your files in. So if you have your XaraX project files in My Documents then the backed up files should be saved there.

I hope this is right?!? I can't remember who instructed me in this great tip but I think that's the one!!

Next version XaraLtd needs to make that an option in the preferences box. That was not a good thing for them to have left out.

Give it a try and let us know!! If anyone can correct any information that I may have typed incorrectly here please tell us. This IS possible because XaraX is backing up every time I close out now. So that's got to be it!!!

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Klaus

Like Penny, I too am interested in finding out more about DiskKpeeper. Unlike Penny, though, I HAVE found it but only via my normal PC supplier in the UK (www.dabs.com). It looks like its now part of Executive Software (www.execsoft.com). The program is purely an 'on the fly disk defragmenter' it doesn't say anything about a copying feature.

After doing more 'hunting', I found that in fact I think you meant DataKeeper and NOT DiskKeeper. Yes, this is available through PowerQuest but sadly has now been combined with Drive Image and is no longer available as a stand-alone product.

Penny

I don't know whether it is any help and I've not really checked it out, but in my hunting I went to 'download.CNET.com' and did a search on 'backup' and came up with a program called 'Second Copy 2000' which appears to be quite popular. Could be worth a look - I will. In fact, you and Klaus have started me thinking about 'on-the-fly file backup' which is something we could definitely do with here.

I'm now in the process of downloading Second Copy so we'll soon see what its like!

Hope this helps.
    Tracey