Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I’m sure “convert line to shape” has its uses. But why would anyone use it to give a line graduated fill/transparency when Contour keeps the line editable? It looks long and complicated but it’s quite simple to understand.
    1) Create your line (give it stroke and pressure profile if you want)
    2) Give your line a one-step inner contour, with 0.01 width and milter join
    3) Get rid of the think outline on your contour, but not the line. <font size="-1">Details: Click on your newly created contour, make sure the status bar says “Contour”, then give it “no outline” (i.e. right click the no color swatch)</font>
    4) Make your original line transparent. <font size="-1">Details: Change to the selector tool. Click on the shape. If the status bar says “1 contour” press tab once so it says “1 line”. Give this line 100% transparency)</font>
    5) Select the contour and give it whatever fill/transparency you want
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image.jpg 
Views:	660 
Size:	6.9 KB 
ID:	8658  
    creativesuperhero.ca

I’m sure “convert line to shape” has its uses. But why would anyone use it to give a line graduated fill/transparency when Contour keeps the line editable? It looks long and complicated but it’s quite simple to understand.
    1) Create your line (give it stroke and pressure profile if you want)
    2) Give your line a one-step inner contour, with 0.01 width and milter join
    3) Get rid of the think outline on your contour, but not the line. <font size="-1">Details: Click on your newly created contour, make sure the status bar says “Contour”, then give it “no outline” (i.e. right click the no color swatch)</font>
    4) Make your original line transparent. <font size="-1">Details: Change to the selector tool. Click on the shape. If the status bar says “1 contour” press tab once so it says “1 line”. Give this line 100% transparency)</font>
    5) Select the contour and give it whatever fill/transparency you want
    creativesuperhero.ca

Going to try this out as soon as I read the new topics on Talkgraphics.
    Seems to be great. Thanks for sharing!!

One reason you may not is that the new contour shapes has a LOT MORE NODES than the original. This could be an important issue if there are a lot of objects in a file that need this techinque applied or which have other memory intensive properties such as brushes.

Either method you choose there is about the same amount of nodes. Contour has the benefit that it's dynamically created and doesn't inrease the file size as much as "convert to line to shape".

This method is more stubborn for lines with no pressure profile. You have to make your line transparent first, then countour it, then remove the transparency on the contour.

Name:	image.JPG 
Views:	603 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	12101  
    creativesuperhero.ca

Hi Alex,

Good points and I did not check the contour results of todays X versus earlier releases. My message should have said, "...COULD result in many more nodes". I also found that one method may work better than the other depending upon the node/curve types of a line. The below example shows what can happen.

Name:	test.gif 
Views:	547 
Size:	6.6 KB 
ID:	3330  

Alex

Not to argue with you, but Convert Line to Shape is one of my favorite features.

That said, if you have ever tried to resize an arrowhead, you can't help but love the lines to shape feature.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Even So Humble...

Name:	lines2shape.gif 
Views:	548 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	15232  

converting line to shape is also a quiick way to creat a window frame. Draw a rectangle, copy to clip board, do what ever you want to the original to make it look like a window, contl/shift/V to paste the copy, make center transparent, convert to shape, and add the bevel of your choice.
    If you have to make a lot of simple windows or opening it is useful.
    John