Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Antony -

If I understand correctly from your posting in the question for AnthonyF thread, new forum software will be implemented shortly that will have a limit on the number of posts that can be retained in the forum at any one time. In particular, you said:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>But, an important point: with the new system, we will have certain limitations on the number of posts. Some will have to be archived or deleted after a while. Now, the division of forums is imperative for moves such as this.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If this is true, then I think it is imperative that a way be found to archive all old posts in a searchable format. I regularly use the "search" feature of this forum to augment the Xara help files when I need to figure something out regarding Xara X. Often, I find that my question is answered in an old post in the forum.

My 2 cents worth on that issue - I just wanted to let you know before the changes were made.

- Pete

Antony -

If I understand correctly from your posting in the question for AnthonyF thread, new forum software will be implemented shortly that will have a limit on the number of posts that can be retained in the forum at any one time. In particular, you said:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>But, an important point: with the new system, we will have certain limitations on the number of posts. Some will have to be archived or deleted after a while. Now, the division of forums is imperative for moves such as this.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If this is true, then I think it is imperative that a way be found to archive all old posts in a searchable format. I regularly use the "search" feature of this forum to augment the Xara help files when I need to figure something out regarding Xara X. Often, I find that my question is answered in an old post in the forum.

My 2 cents worth on that issue - I just wanted to let you know before the changes were made.

- Pete

> I regularly use the "search" feature of this forum to augment the Xara help files

Me, too.

Peter,

I don't know what facilities we'll have exactly in the new system. I don't think the features for archiving have actually been implemented yet. So at the moment, it's a bit of an unknown. All I do know is that there is a limit on the total posts we can have in the entire messageboard.

As I said in the other thread, Xara X posts won't be got rid of - they are a vital asset. If anything went, it'd be old off-topic posts. Emphasis on if.

Everyone will be informed before the changeover is made, and before anything such as archiving or deleting went on. I just had to explain some stuff in that other thread as it was relevant to that topic. Don't worry about the rug suddenly being pulled from under you. I'm sorry I can't be a little more speific on this now, but I just need to find out myself for sure about all the nuances of the new system. I'm still talking with Infopop about the move.

The move would have originally meant all attachments were lost. Yep. But of course that's totally unaccetable, so we're paying them to do some custom work to make sure all the attachments go over safely. It's issues like this that occur, but need to be planned and discussed and implemented.

In terms of searching, who doesn't use it? But I get quite frustrated sometimes by the results (or lack of them, or the board saying there's too many results). The new system should have far superior search capabilities, one of the users of the sysem saying it was nearly "perfect".

--------
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

Thanks Antony - sounds like you're being properly methodical and cautious about the changes!