Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi,
    here an question from a beginning, yet already satisfied CorelXara- and XaraX-user from the Netherlands.
    As many of you, I too am impressed by the possibilities of all the Xara-products.

However, I'm experiencing a problem when exporting XAR-text into GIF- and JP(e)G-formats. This is probably due to the fact that I'm doing something wrong but I can't see what! But it's a cold shower when you design a fantastic looking item and then, after having exported it, all the excitement is gone.

What exactly is my problem?
    In CorelXara I make a simple text-file in. In Corel It looks great, even after zooming in at 1000% percent or more. No problem.
    But, when I export the file to GIF (and I think I've tried all the options: optimized palette, error diffusion etc.) the result is a fuzzy GIF-file where all the sharpness is gone. The options I've used in this example are 4bits (16 colours), error diffusion, no transparancy. The same goes when I export it into an JPG-file (options: 100% JPEG quality, 96 DPI).
    After having read the FAQ-page at Xarazone.com I also tried:
    a. Ctrl-K on the image before exporting it, as suggested, but the result stays very poor.
    b. I made sure that I was using a 100% view zoom factor,
    c. that all the objects, as well as their sizes were integer values, and
    d. tried it with anti-aliasing off or set to normal.

I'm sure Corel can do better than my present result, but I don't know how! What am I doing wrong here? Who has any suggestions left?
    Please let me know!
    Thanks!
    Regards, Albert G. Kubbenga

Hi,
    here an question from a beginning, yet already satisfied CorelXara- and XaraX-user from the Netherlands.
    As many of you, I too am impressed by the possibilities of all the Xara-products.

However, I'm experiencing a problem when exporting XAR-text into GIF- and JP(e)G-formats. This is probably due to the fact that I'm doing something wrong but I can't see what! But it's a cold shower when you design a fantastic looking item and then, after having exported it, all the excitement is gone.

What exactly is my problem?
    In CorelXara I make a simple text-file in. In Corel It looks great, even after zooming in at 1000% percent or more. No problem.
    But, when I export the file to GIF (and I think I've tried all the options: optimized palette, error diffusion etc.) the result is a fuzzy GIF-file where all the sharpness is gone. The options I've used in this example are 4bits (16 colours), error diffusion, no transparancy. The same goes when I export it into an JPG-file (options: 100% JPEG quality, 96 DPI).
    After having read the FAQ-page at Xarazone.com I also tried:
    a. Ctrl-K on the image before exporting it, as suggested, but the result stays very poor.
    b. I made sure that I was using a 100% view zoom factor,
    c. that all the objects, as well as their sizes were integer values, and
    d. tried it with anti-aliasing off or set to normal.

I'm sure Corel can do better than my present result, but I don't know how! What am I doing wrong here? Who has any suggestions left?
    Please let me know!
    Thanks!
    Regards, Albert G. Kubbenga

Welcome to the Forums. It's difficult to say exactly what your problem is regarding the fuzziness without seeing a copy of it. Could you post an attachment?
    However I would suggest that 16 bit colour depth is probably the problem. This is very limited number of colours to allow for any antialiasing of the font.
    Try the following:
    Export as a 256 colour gif. How does this compare?
    Export as a true colour png with alpha. How does this compare?
    On the point of jpg's these are not the ideal format for text or any image that contains large amounts of solid colour.
    Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host