Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hi

Well, my first site.

Built in that 'crappy' WebEasy Professional and uploaded using WS_FTP LE (really easy to use).

The program turned out to be pretty good and it's stable under the new setup. but I still think I'll end up using Namo.

All the bars, ect.... created in XaraX. The rollovers though, were created using WebEasy but using my art from Xara.

I need some feedback, I'm really new to all of this so please explain things to me in normal, not HTML. I did change all the colors in the calendar and clock scripts using the Xara color dialog and getting the #hex and inserting, that was fun, no really, it was neat to see it work just the way I wanted it too!!

So let me know OK??

Here's the address:

RAMWollf's World

Richard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

PS: Nothing much on the site, just checking the effects and scripts out but I like getting something up before the end of the year!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Hi

Well, my first site.

Built in that 'crappy' WebEasy Professional and uploaded using WS_FTP LE (really easy to use).

The program turned out to be pretty good and it's stable under the new setup. but I still think I'll end up using Namo.

All the bars, ect.... created in XaraX. The rollovers though, were created using WebEasy but using my art from Xara.

I need some feedback, I'm really new to all of this so please explain things to me in normal, not HTML. I did change all the colors in the calendar and clock scripts using the Xara color dialog and getting the #hex and inserting, that was fun, no really, it was neat to see it work just the way I wanted it too!!

So let me know OK??

Here's the address:

RAMWollf's World

PS: Nothing much on the site, just checking the effects and scripts out but I like getting something up before the end of the year!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

I like the overall design a bunch Richard. I'm not crazy about the fade from page to page though. I think visitors want to get from one page to the next as quickly as possible.

So I would advise a ballance of design to functionality.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

The Xara Xone

just was playing with the effects, easilly removed.

Questions, anyone know of a site where I can get some nifty calendars and visitor thingies and god I want a clock (a Capricorn thing) that will allow me to do 12hr instead of the military time, I hate that!!

What do you think of a progressive background instead?? Would Xaras slicing tool allow for a better progression of how the background is loaded.

Once I get the 'look and feel' of the site in place it will be easy to add in all the content. So any suggestions are really appreciated.

Thanks kindly

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

It certainly is green! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I use Opera and thing are not lining up right. I also noticed your text is not selectable??

Here is a partial screen shot of what I'm talking about.

Judi
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ramwolf.jpg 
Views:	925 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	11775  

Hi Richard,

I like the look of your site. It is a little slow loading with my dial up connection; almost two minutes before the home page is complete. The transition between pages also causes another slow redraw of the navigation bar.

At work, with a T1 connection the loading was much better. However the green background was in place longer than felt comfortable before the tiled image appeared.

Over all, very good work; especially this being your first site.

BTW at home I use IE5.5 and at work IE6.0

Soquili
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I think the interface is very effective but as mentioned in previous posts, with a dial up connection it can be slow to download. That aside, the thing that I dislike the most is the roll-over text of white text with a green background.....I find that text definition is one of Xara's worst features and it is made worse in your example because the images are jpgs rather than gifs, which I feel would work better here. Personally I would opt for a plain white text on a black background in a gif format. Hope I'm not being to negative here.

Re your request for information on counters etc I like
    EggExtreme Tracking which is free on a home page. As for calenders and clocks I would question the need for these. My computer supplies these very adequately, so why 'bloat' your site with them? They seem as pointless as saying 'Best viewed with Internet Explorer' or 'Best veiwed at 800 x 600 screen resolution' or 'the weather is Overcast but Dry' or 'High Water is at 18:06 hrs'

[This message was edited by Egg Bramhill on December 27, 2002 at 21:18.]
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Richard
    I would have to agree with the others. The nav bar looks great except for the mouse over images. The text has a green outline on them. It would look better with just purple text and then just white text without the green outline on the text.

The fading of the pages does take too long. And as Egg suggested you probably don't need the clock and the calendar on your site.

I would keep the complete nav bar with the site title on every page too. Maybe leave out the welcome from the top title and just have Ram Wolf's World centered. Then you could just have welcome on the home page. Under the title bar.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

A highly recommended book for beginning web designers is Web Pages That Suck.

In that book you will learn why such fun things as clocks, calendars, counters, and other such add-ons are not good enhancements to websites.

Such things are fun to play with, but what most visitors want are fast loading sites with great content and easy and fast navigation. Many visitors will leave at the first sign of slow loading or other annoyances. Hey, at least you didn't add any popups! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I love the color scheme, but I agree that the rollover text should be plain white.

Web Pages That Suck

http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...&ul=1101906325
    Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

Much better than my first website [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

It's always difficult to strike the right balance between what looks good, what's possible, ease of use and download times. Keep at it though. I had to do and redo a few websites before I got the hang of what worked - after I'd got my head around Dreamweaver/Fireworks!

--
    Graeme
    Graeme