Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I was just wondering, is there a purpose to displaying the number of posts made by each user? The posts on TalkGraphics are of very high quality. But on, dare I say, "less mature" forums, people use the number of posts as a means of seniority or to gain respect. If this was one of those boards, it would be flooded with topics like:
    "I think Xara rules and Adobe sucks"
    "Top ten reasons why Adobe beats Xara"
    "Do you think Xara beats Adobe?"
    "Five reasons why I think Adobe beats Xara"
    and polls like "Which is your favorite program? Xara, CorelDraw, Illustrator, or Freehand?"

Basically, they´re pointless discussions (involving many flaming wars) whose sole purpose is the raise the number of posts for that user. Do the numbers on TalkGraphics have any significance? Just curious.

(And to stay on topic, Which is your favorite program? Xara, CorelDraw, Illustrator, Freehand, or other?)
    creativesuperhero.ca

I was just wondering, is there a purpose to displaying the number of posts made by each user? The posts on TalkGraphics are of very high quality. But on, dare I say, "less mature" forums, people use the number of posts as a means of seniority or to gain respect. If this was one of those boards, it would be flooded with topics like:
    "I think Xara rules and Adobe sucks"
    "Top ten reasons why Adobe beats Xara"
    "Do you think Xara beats Adobe?"
    "Five reasons why I think Adobe beats Xara"
    and polls like "Which is your favorite program? Xara, CorelDraw, Illustrator, or Freehand?"

Basically, they´re pointless discussions (involving many flaming wars) whose sole purpose is the raise the number of posts for that user. Do the numbers on TalkGraphics have any significance? Just curious.

(And to stay on topic, Which is your favorite program? Xara, CorelDraw, Illustrator, Freehand, or other?)
    creativesuperhero.ca

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> (And to stay on topic, Which is your favorite program? Xara, CorelDraw, Illustrator, Freehand, or other?) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alex

You are a caution [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Actually the number of posts is part of the InfoPoop, er, make that InfoPop software that Xara uses to create the TalkGraphics forums. I don't think they have ever given it a thought. I'll follow with a poll to this effect.

We actually went though a chest-thumping period loudly proclaiming Xara all of the things you mentioned in your post. But several of the members felt this was unnecessary and boring and so we have let up some.

No need to ask what our favorite software is. I think we are almost 100% in agreement on that question. You might ask what our least favorite software is or which is our second favorite or how do we rate DRAW (the Corel lawyers insist that Corel be appended to DRAW but that has never stopped me), Illustrator, and FreeHand.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Sever So Humble...

We've got so many talented people in this forum pushing Xara to limits even the designers only imagined that we don't need to be "show and tell" because "show" says it all.

Mickie

The point of "which is your favorite program" question is to show the pointlessness of such a question. Of course everyone´s going to be biased to Xara on a Xara-related. forum. It´s as ridiculous as Xara posting such a poll on their website (unless a bunch of Adobe/Macromedia people come and raid the site, then there´s egg on Xara´s face - I´ve seen it happen before).

The thing is, the next day, someone will post another thread asking what their least favorite program is, then yet another on their favorite feature of Xara is, and another on the most requested feature etc etc. Yes, it gets old, But why do people on the "less mature" boards do it? So they can raise the number of their posts. Since this is a more sophisticated board, why include the number at all?

And I´m sure the InfoPop software must be customizable as you are allowed to include your location etc. Remember, I´m not asking why we aren´t "pounding our chests", and I'm definetly not asking what your favorite app is. I´m asking what the relevance to number of posts is.
    creativesuperhero.ca

I never even look at it, because if someone posts or replies regularly, it only shows a skill in posting, and the first posting of someone new is ALWAYS more interesting as you get at least a new approach and, in the best of cases, something we had a few months ago, namely: a Niagara fall of new possiblities, techniques and hidden features.
    Some of the threads are more "to keep the fire going", but this is inevitable, because if the forum loses its momentum, it would be hard to get it back going.

It also has something to do with having a permanent internet connection or not.

my Eurocent

If you don't work against time, time often works for you.

...Why are so many people so loathe to put in their details in the profile sections? I like to see the profiles because it helps to get a better idea of where the person is "coming from."
    Are any members afraid of filling in the details or something?
    As for me not posting a photo, well, I can't find a picture of myself where I don’t look like i’m passing wind!!!

must go now and update *my* profile!!!
    eric
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]