Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi gang,

1) If I take a circle, how do I create a half circle??? I tried the Pen tool and the Shape editor tool and I can't get it to 'splice' at all. I just end up with a line draw in the middle of the circle. There has to be an easier way to do this. I really think that Xara needs to add in a crop tool, it's easier and faster than all this manipulation of this point and that point then do this and that and wha la. There hasn't been a wha la for me in this area, only a WAAAA!! Any help here??

Also, If I wanted to create a half circle then how do I make it look like a quarter moon?? I'm creating bar ideas for web sites and this is a shape I would like to be able to play around with.

2) I notice this, and maybe it's a setting that I have turned on that I should turn off. If I apply a conical fill to a shape and then create another shape it automatically has that conical fill and yet it's a new shape. So I'm thinking that every thing on the same page is going to have the same effects applied to them as they are created. Way's around this??

OH and one more thing, as I have added new brushes to the lines gallery, I have noticed that when Xara is loading up now there is a message: SOME FONTS HAVE BEEN SUBSTITUTED BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT CURRENTLY INSTALLED. THE FONT LIST IN THE DOCUMENT INFORMATION DIALOG DISPLAYS SUBSTITUTED FONTS WITH AN APPENDED ASTERISK. It doesn't crash the program but it slows it down as it's loading. Any one else have this problem and do you know the fonts I need to add in in order to get this to stop happening???

Thanks gang

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Hi gang,

1) If I take a circle, how do I create a half circle??? I tried the Pen tool and the Shape editor tool and I can't get it to 'splice' at all. I just end up with a line draw in the middle of the circle. There has to be an easier way to do this. I really think that Xara needs to add in a crop tool, it's easier and faster than all this manipulation of this point and that point then do this and that and wha la. There hasn't been a wha la for me in this area, only a WAAAA!! Any help here??

Also, If I wanted to create a half circle then how do I make it look like a quarter moon?? I'm creating bar ideas for web sites and this is a shape I would like to be able to play around with.

2) I notice this, and maybe it's a setting that I have turned on that I should turn off. If I apply a conical fill to a shape and then create another shape it automatically has that conical fill and yet it's a new shape. So I'm thinking that every thing on the same page is going to have the same effects applied to them as they are created. Way's around this??

OH and one more thing, as I have added new brushes to the lines gallery, I have noticed that when Xara is loading up now there is a message: SOME FONTS HAVE BEEN SUBSTITUTED BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT CURRENTLY INSTALLED. THE FONT LIST IN THE DOCUMENT INFORMATION DIALOG DISPLAYS SUBSTITUTED FONTS WITH AN APPENDED ASTERISK. It doesn't crash the program but it slows it down as it's loading. Any one else have this problem and do you know the fonts I need to add in in order to get this to stop happening???

Thanks gang

Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

To slice a circle into halves, make sure the line you're using to "slice" the circle is on top. Then select both the line and the circle, then select "arrange" "combine shapes" "slice (cut) shapes." You will end up with two half circles. To make a half circle look like a quarter moon, select the half circle, then use the shape editor tool to drag the straight edge of the half circle inward to make the shape you want.

1. Draw your circle, convert to editable shapes (arrange menu).

Shift/Select two opposite points with the
    shape editor tool then select break at points (on the tool bar) then you can delete the top part.

With line or shape editor tool click on one point and draw a line to second point ( a + will appear when your lines are connecting. Now you have a fillable half circle and can manipulate the shape with shape editor tool.
    Or...
    2. Draw circle. Draw a line across the center of circle (overlapping on both sides). Give the line no width and then shift/select with circle.
    Go to arrange — combine shapes — slice shapes. You
    now have a half circle.

Fonts...I think it lists what fonts have been substituted (file — document info). You need to find those fonts and install them on your machine.

Hope this helps...TGIF

Mickie

I will give it a try when I get home tonight from work. I knew there was a step I was missing.

I will look further into the fonts thing.

I STILL think there should be the crop tool added to Xara, it WOULD make all this easier and the magic wand tool too!!! I remember Gary commenting on someone making suggestions about adding more tools to Xara and said it would make it too complicated, or something like that, but I think these 2 tools are good ones and would be used enough to warrent adding them. I know I use them in corel Draw and PhotoPaint ALL the time!!

Too bad that Xara didn't allow for Corel files to be imported into the program as workable vectors, then I would just do all my cutting and cropping and what not in the Corel programs and then import it into Xara to transform it further.

Thanks again.

Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Draw a circle, draw a rectangle covering the half of the circle you wish to keep, select both objects, combine shapes - intersect.

Draw a circle - duplicate and move down,up left or right to show as much of the first circle that you want to keep. Select both objects, combine shapes - subtract.

Christine
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

Still another alternative is to use the Clipview function as illustrated in this thread:

Creating an Arc Using Clipview

Pete

Once you have the perfect semicircle, store it in your shapes folder and put it in your clip-art gallery. You won't ever have to recreate the shape again...
    Tony
    Tony