Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello all
    I know this has been discussed here before. I read through some previous posts on this subject.
    I have made some files for a client with Xara X. My customer has adobe illustrator. When I send the ai format the text or fonts do not open. From the previous posts I saw ,that the text could made into editable shapes. But then it probably does not work as text in AI. Does Xara have a fix for this ? Is there any way I can get the text to work from Xara X when I export to ai format ? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

Hello all
    I know this has been discussed here before. I read through some previous posts on this subject.
    I have made some files for a client with Xara X. My customer has adobe illustrator. When I send the ai format the text or fonts do not open. From the previous posts I saw ,that the text could made into editable shapes. But then it probably does not work as text in AI. Does Xara have a fix for this ? Is there any way I can get the text to work from Xara X when I export to ai format ? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Bruce
    Artist For Hire

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

I think it's because the client doesn't have the same fonts as you do. When I export text and graphics I can open it with Freehand and Illustrator without problems - on the same machine. However, I've never tried to open the files on another machine.

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Hi Jens
    Thnk you. Can you tell me what version of illustrator you are using ? Maybe it is a version problem ? I think my client has version 10.
    Bruce
    Artist For Hire

Yep I've had the same problems with exporting ai format as text.

Normally I just play around with settings until it exports right. But I have just had another go and have found some possible text bugs in Xara that at first look might be the problem.

I went back to have a look at some text that originally had problems. I highlighted the whole text object with the text tool and the font was Arial, size 12pt. But I had some empty carriage returns at the end of the text and on cursoring down to the end the font and size changed. Even if I highlighted the whole text and changed font/sizes etc the empty carriage return stayed at different settings. I deleted the extra carriage returns and there was still a problem, then I entered them again and found that the text change was still being remembered somehow.

I think originally the different text was caused by typing in the standard Times Roman then I selected the whole text with text tool and changed it to Arial etc. The text object had empty carriage returns on the end and the end one stayed as Times.

The way I found around this was to click with the text tool on the page background and select the text with the selector tool and then click back on the text tool and set font and sizes etc. Then the whole text object was back to normal and exported okay. I think that sometimes there are invisible text settings in Xara that cause what Illustrator calls 'illegal operands'.

Even after all this some of my fonts get replaced in Illustrator for some reason, not sure why.

I've just had another go and found some inconsistencies with this, as sometimes a change in text in an empty carriage return causes a problem and sometimes not, weird. So still a bit confused as to what is actually the problem

Anyway hope this helps.

Regards

Su
    "If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life." - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

I must compliment you..........even though I don't have much to say on this thread, I always read your postings..........you take the time to really break down a challenge and always seem to find ways around, fixes or new and exciting ways to accomplish tasks. BRAVO, *****5***** STARS and balloons and cake and ice cream too!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Glad your a part of all of this! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Richard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Thnk you. Can you tell me what version of illustrator you are using ? Maybe it is a version problem ? I think my client has version 10.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Freehand 9 and Illustrator 10. I've used them for a couple of weeks for file conversions only because a client used these apps. My problem was to get files into Xara, and only AI can save/export the different versions.

However, I just read Su's message, and I realized that I've never modified the text - headlines with just a few words - after I've typed them. Maybe that's the trick?

Another trouble maker could be TT fonts. I've trashed almost all TT fonts on my system and replaced them with Type 1 fonts after I've had several problems with them.

If I will have some time I will check Su's tricks and see what will happen (yup, I'm happy when I can stick with Xara)

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer

----------//--
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Hello Su and Jens
    Thank you. I will try some things as Su suggested. Jens I have not heard of problems with trutype fonts before ? I think that most of my fonts are true type.
    Bruce
    Artist For Hire

it largely depends on the source of TT fonts. The ones that come with the OS are flawless, but there are web sites that offer free TT fonts, and many of them don't stick to the standards.

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer

----------//--
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    --------------------//--

... for your kind words Richard.

I'm always glad if I can be of any help.

The ai export thing has been a particular bug bear of mine for a while now, trying to get text to export seemed a bit hit and miss. Sometimes a particular thing worked and sometimes not and I had never got around to having a closer look at what might be causing problems. Which is one of the things I like about these forums as it focuses you on stuff. Often a thing I might not have figured out for my own purposes, is something I will have a go at if someone else is having a problem.

I'm still not sure what is exactly causing the 'illegal operands' in Illustrator. But if it can be exported okay then I guess that's most of the battle, even if I don't know exactly why it does (although I am still curious).

I am very happy to be a part of these forums too. Thanks for the icecream and cake ... it was yummy!

Regards

Su
    "If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life." - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!