Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

C4d and Photoshop

Stu.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sea-city--final-copy.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	6298  

C4d and Photoshop

Stu.

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

that's somethin' smokin' !

You new private submarine lab to explore deep sea colors? ;-}

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

These aqua scenes you do really rock there Stu...

Psst, what are your secret settings for this, hehe ... naw, seriously, are there any things you have predefined now as to anywhere in this range with this, this and that will give ya good water, etc, the colors, lighting, etc.... curious minds would love to know...

Nice stuff Stu... they have good maintanance crew on board, the metal is polished

Very cool! Where's Capt. Nemo?
    ---Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Thanks

jens..hahahaa excellent

Gidge - {this system only works with stills} Green lights.Nah ok,I am using 7 so I can light things up individually like in 8 and the camera I have some hassle with,so I build my models and add metal textures etc,then add sea water green lighting,and also particle streams of small spheres with no textures applied and a bit of turbulence.When I have the scene the way I am happy with it I render then open in PS and play with color to get a nice deep ocean effect,and because its going to be a BG I add some g blurr for a water effect behind the glass I am going to add later,plus its a quick way of doing DOF and you can use geometry alias as you are just going to blur it anyway.So I tweak the bg save a copy as a tif,open the copy remove alphas etc and flatten it.Next back C4D now we can add the new BG as a background to a sky object,so we turn off all the previous objects and geomtry,but we still use the same lighting so everything matches.Add more particles streams for oxygen bubbles etc back to PS but add no blur,do the same routine and then back to C4D again only update the BG image again and turn off the particles.Next I added a star ship I had and made some green seawater beastie type materials for,but the problem is this model takes ages to render and seeing there is not much around for it to reflect etc so I copy the model into a null and copy the camera and the lights to a new file.Set everything back up in the new file using the copied lights and camera,do the render with a nice alpha.So after a reasonable break for the render I come back and open PS and copy the beastie into the BG image,sort out the color balance add a tiny smidgeon of blur save a copy and flatten it then back to C4D again,and reload the new BG with additions.Turn off the beastie and put all the old parts into a null and name it older parts.Next the glass I take a sphere whack the back half put a semi transparent tex on it so I can see where to put the glass supports then extrude those polys make a tag for the extrusions call it metal, invert the rest and call it glass.Make a glass material {doesnt matter if it looks crap} place it on the sphere and chuck the sphere in a hyper nurbs add the metal tweak the materials and do a render which takes a couple of minutes because the rest is BG image.Back to PS sort out the coloring add some contrast to the metal invert save a glass alpha channel.Fond the glass looked to thick so I lowered the opacity used a layer mask and a radial gradient which gave me a fresnel type effect and the glass looked more realistic,saved a copy and flattened it.Back to C4D reloaded the BG and added the ladders and the walkway,made some metal materials and spent quite a while playing with diffusion and specular.Now I didnt need the the green lighting anymore as it was for deep ocean so I made some yellow spots to look like yellow light shining on the walkway to give it a bit more believability.Because the new additions were metal I used radiosity because all it had to do was sample the ladder and the grid as the rest was again image so I tweaked in PS again using the alpha and merged it all once again and saved a copy and flattened.Back in C4D I added the walls as a finishing touch to just kind of frame it a bit I suppose,and as the ladder and grid were close I could use the same lighting and use radiosity quickly once more,after that back to PS and tweak the final image

I have a 15 inch monitor at the moment and have to use 800 x 600 so I have had to be inventive to get a decent render,but later I am going to do lots of widescreen stuff

Anything else you want to know Gidge {while its still fresh in my memory}

Stu.

Holy moly Stu... is that all? hahahahaha

Yea eh, once ya have a couple of apps in the mix things just sort of go go go the next thing you know, wow, what a process you went through... but hey, if the results go like this then it was/is worth it eh?

Ya I think it was Gidge ,but being an artist its so frustrating not being to able to rellly expand horizontally .For instance if I could do that I would add a hallyway and maybe an elevator shaft and see where that takes me.If I only had the sea parts as bg then animation of some sort of flying thingy cruising around and monitoring would be cool,but not with 400mhz....hahahha,but hopefully that will be remedied soon as well

The thing with PS is that if you learn AE the filters and blendmodes are really simllar if not the same,for instance add a blue color fill over some animation in AE and you have night etc or red for drama and so on

The one thing I rely on the most is my eye,and others opnions as there is always something I miss that someone else picks up on and it happens more as time goes by so its really helpful

I like the idea of Pyramids r something like that next I think.

Oh ya as per your question for materials I find my settings change as sometimes I have a great metal with good realistic diffusion etc but it wont always behave in the same way in a different scene so they change frequently and I try to build up a bit of a library.

Stu.

yup, you do have some nice materials from your worx to date for sure Stu....

the stairs here have a nice sheen to them... perhaps they could be dirtied up a bit, either that or the crew in this aquazone are very meticulous about polishing the gear... but then again, if I made metal like this I doubt that I would fudge with it

Ya, libraries eh... I don't really do it enough for materials and such, I should though I know... I still need to go back through my folders and start organizing my little but ever growing library of custom made primitives...

as for the color thing... haha, I have a pretty hard time replicating fx sometimes.... as long as the next take beats the last one then I am happy happy... not that this is always the case hahaha...

My most appreciated tool? UNDO....hahahahaha

Looking cool Stu.. pretty soon I must try one of these scenes with your techniques... looks too cool not too [thumbs up]

Happy creat'n all

Nice use of depth-of-field. I feel like I can reach into the monitor and snatch your work!

My Best,

Gare
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.