Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hopefully, a lot of you all remember Ann and Nancy Wilson of the group Heart and don’t have any unkind comments, because I personally like them and thought their live version of Led Zep's "Rock and Roll" was excellent.

To the point: when Guitarist magazine asked for any mantra or formula for success, Ann said, "M.A.S.T....Meaning, Approach Sensitivity, Technique". So what does this mean to 3D artists? Probably the same thing as it does to musicians, because Art transcends the tools we use.

Meaning: When you bring a child into this world, their own expression that you've helped mold, but stand on its own and speak on its own. What is the meaning? What were your intentions? This is such a broad word in context, that it's elusive! In essence, "Here is my Artwork; it speaks for itself as it speaks for me, and this is what it stands for."

Approach: From what direction did you create this piece of artwork? What is your background, what is your concept? You approach an idea in your head; the direction depends upon from where you start--are you a starving artist trying to liberate Mankind? Is your background a happy one, and you intend to color your art with happiness? Essentially, art is a process of problem-solving---how can I forge the tools I need to bring an idea to the world? Your approach is what you've learned in the past, continuing to solve the present puzzle of the "imagination to reality" process.

Sensitivity: There's a lot of insensitive art out there, but the Dada-ists early in the last century that you could neither kill art nor disqualify it. That is, it's rather hard to say precisely and accurately, "Oh, that's not art". More often than not, it's Art, but it's not good art---it might be insensitive or there could be scores of other issues that are unappealing, trite, or just plain disgusting in a particular piece. Sensitivity and Approach I think are key to getting the artistic message across. And lack of sensitivity to one's self, one's audience, the perception of the world, blah, blah...inevitably leads to art marred by this insensitivity. I think that once we tune the sensitivity up, the more pleased we are with our work, ourselves, and our outlook in general. Besides "insensitivity", the opposite of "sensitivity" is also "numb" and "blinded".

Technique: This is perhaps the easiest quality of the creation process to overlook. "Techniue" is a good thing, for it is better to be skilled than unskilled, but technique without Meaning, Approach, and Sensitivity" is without context and fairly without meaning. I see a lot of brilliant technicians out there who seem to be without soul as expressed in their art.

All these recipe items need to be added in the proper amounts to make a savory feast for the eyes, the ears, or the palate.

Just my own interpretation

My Best,
    Gare

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.

[This message was edited by Gary David Bouton on April 15, 2003 at 13:14.]
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

Hopefully, a lot of you all remember Ann and Nancy Wilson of the group Heart and don’t have any unkind comments, because I personally like them and thought their live version of Led Zep's "Rock and Roll" was excellent.

To the point: when Guitarist magazine asked for any mantra or formula for success, Ann said, "M.A.S.T....Meaning, Approach Sensitivity, Technique". So what does this mean to 3D artists? Probably the same thing as it does to musicians, because Art transcends the tools we use.

Meaning: When you bring a child into this world, their own expression that you've helped mold, but stand on its own and speak on its own. What is the meaning? What were your intentions? This is such a broad word in context, that it's elusive! In essence, "Here is my Artwork; it speaks for itself as it speaks for me, and this is what it stands for."

Approach: From what direction did you create this piece of artwork? What is your background, what is your concept? You approach an idea in your head; the direction depends upon from where you start--are you a starving artist trying to liberate Mankind? Is your background a happy one, and you intend to color your art with happiness? Essentially, art is a process of problem-solving---how can I forge the tools I need to bring an idea to the world? Your approach is what you've learned in the past, continuing to solve the present puzzle of the "imagination to reality" process.

Sensitivity: There's a lot of insensitive art out there, but the Dada-ists early in the last century that you could neither kill art nor disqualify it. That is, it's rather hard to say precisely and accurately, "Oh, that's not art". More often than not, it's Art, but it's not good art---it might be insensitive or there could be scores of other issues that are unappealing, trite, or just plain disgusting in a particular piece. Sensitivity and Approach I think are key to getting the artistic message across. And lack of sensitivity to one's self, one's audience, the perception of the world, blah, blah...inevitably leads to art marred by this insensitivity. I think that once we tune the sensitivity up, the more pleased we are with our work, ourselves, and our outlook in general. Besides "insensitivity", the opposite of "sensitivity" is also "numb" and "blinded".

Technique: This is perhaps the easiest quality of the creation process to overlook. "Techniue" is a good thing, for it is better to be skilled than unskilled, but technique without Meaning, Approach, and Sensitivity" is without context and fairly without meaning. I see a lot of brilliant technicians out there who seem to be without soul as expressed in their art.

All these recipe items need to be added in the proper amounts to make a savory feast for the eyes, the ears, or the palate.

Just my own interpretation

My Best,
    Gare

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

[This message was edited by Gary David Bouton on April 15, 2003 at 13:14.]
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

in the eyes of the beholder...

Good topic to ponder there Gary

Ya ditto, nice topic.

Sounds like good advise. Thanks for the post!