Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

'puter people,

Here's a huge tribute to W2K's rock stability: I opened and ran ALL of these programs on my 384Mb/PIII500 system - and they all ran flawlessly! Only one app would not run under these obscene conditions - guess which one? Yup, CorelDraw (v. 8) - but even that critter could not sink W2K itself, nor any of the apps it supported.

Bill deserves all his billions!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	torture-test.gif 
Views:	616 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	5462  
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

'puter people,

Here's a huge tribute to W2K's rock stability: I opened and ran ALL of these programs on my 384Mb/PIII500 system - and they all ran flawlessly! Only one app would not run under these obscene conditions - guess which one? Yup, CorelDraw (v. 8) - but even that critter could not sink W2K itself, nor any of the apps it supported.

Bill deserves all his billions!
    K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)

That is a great post! I guess I should upgrade from my stinking WIN98-2, which is as un-predictable as a game of russian-roulette.

Love your house, Klaus! - it looks to me, like a slice of heaven brought down in Norway.

Risto

Risto,

Yeah, do get W2K - you won't regret it

My house is not in Norway, but half an hour across the border into Sweden

K
    K

I agree with you Klaus that Win 98 is a bit "quirky", but on the other hand I find working with two applications open at the same time strains my powers of concentration :-)

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Bleats Trevor a Mumble

Kirk's mind raced as he quickly assessed his situation: the shields were down, the warp drive and impulse engines were dead, life support was failing fast, and the Enterprise was plummeting out of control toward the surface of Epsilon VI and, as Scotty and Spock searched frantically through the manuals trying to find a way to save them all, Kirk vowed, as he stared at the solid blue image filling the main view screen, that never again would he allow a Microsoft operating system to control his ship.

From the 2001 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest, Winner: Science Fiction

For more go here:
    http://www.sjsu.edu/depts/english/2001.htm

TANSTAAFL
    "If you can do good, you should."
    W.K. Clark

Been using it for three weeks and I've found it to be as stable as NT 4.0 and, as Klaus observed, much better at handling system resources. I can now start a VB test app (that eats CPU cycles) and still edit a drawing in Xara without much performance degredation. (so far blends & shadows seem to suffer the most) I'm probably going to replace my NT box at home this fall and will definately get 2k over XP.

Thanks Klaus,

I have heard many good things about Win2K and I am considering an upgrade. It would also help me avoid dealing with Windows XP.

Bob C.

It's nice to hear at least some good news about windows . My computer came with Windows ME (stands for Messed-up Entirely) and it's now as slow as heck on starting up. Also just little things like looking in a folder through 'my computer' takes for ever the first time. I just read something unsettling yesterday about the system restore on WinME. The article said windows saves tons of stuff into this location and can gradually take up gigs of hard drive space. Anyone interested in this article can read it here ;

http://www.emulators.com/secrets.htm ( a little way down)

Anyway, my system is much slower then when I got this computer 5 months ago ... I wonder if this is the reason. I wish I had win98 on this comp at least ( I had fewer problems on that one) ..... although I might go for a better windows (NT,2000, XL ) in the future.

David K

Oh it's Windows XP then not XL ...... oh well all these X's just confuse the heck outta me [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

David X .... er... K