Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

As a forum lurker with minimal expertise and only two logos to my name I'm hardly qualified to comment, but will throw in my few pence worth.

The variety of styles is great - I'm sure the customer will be spoiled for choice.

Even though it looks less modern than the others, the only one that speaks to me of a "hard approach" is number 14 - angular, bold, blocky, no curves. However, the colours don't immediately suggest technology - I agree with an earlier posting that blue/grey might be more appropriate, but that might be down to corporate colours anyway.

James

Thank you all for your comments and constructive criticism.

My client appreciates all your feedback as well.

Designing a logo that pleases both the designer and the client is not an easy task and your feedback gives us all some important criteria for gauging the merits of each design.

Thanks again, and any other comments from those of you who did not comment is still welcome.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Be careful with #10. It's nice, but it (and especially Wolfgang's treatment) may be too close for comfort to the logo of Schuler Group (www.schulergroup.com), who are big and have lawyers. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I'm sure I've seen something close to #14 somewhere else before too, but I can't think where. hm.

#6 is good too, and though I appreciate you wanting to maximise your return on all the XP-simulating work you did it might work better without the background IMO! Or #7, maybe with a different colour and/or the S fitting exactly into the circle?

Oh, I don't know...

... scary how similar that other logo is!

Which brings up the question - how do you know that you are not infringing on someone elses copyrights when you are designing a logo?

As I see it - you will only find out when you try to register it as a Trademark with a Copyright office?

It is a scary thought - you spend a week/or weeks on a logo design and then it ends up being rejected because it infringes on someone elses Trademark...

... back to square one..?

Risto

risto@ristoklint.com

Visit my web site!

Donno about the expert part but I do have an opinion!
    #3 and then #10 for me.

Aren't #3 and #5 the same?

I cannot connect to the Schuler Group site. Is anybody else having this problem?

Ah, wait a minute, yes, the URL is entered incorrectly. You need to delete the last parenthese. Yes they are very similar.

Rats!

This is always a problem when coming up with logos. I remember about ten years ago, NBC paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $1 million dollars for a new logo which turned out to be almost exactly like one that was being used by Nashville Public Television (or something similar).

It is almost impossible to know what other people have done and duplications of effort are not uncommon.

On the other hand, the Shuler image has an S-shaped space removed from the square while my design includes an additional S-shaped shape in the open area.

Finally, I notice that the Schuler logo does not have a ® (circle R registered trademark) or a TM appended to it. So it very well might not be registered. So my client could TM then register design 10 and then ask Shuler to discontinue use of his logo. :-)

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<A HREF="http://www.gwpriester.com" TARGET=_blank>
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

[This message was edited by Gary W. Priester on January 11, 2002 at 15:35.]