Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Making fonts

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Ross! The good fairy sez...

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] You shall make a font tonite!!!

(brought over from XaraX forum)

All versions of Corel Draw later than v.3 can export to both TrueType and Type 1 formats. Even my v.10 though it isn't documented. F'rinstance, if you have v.7 look in the index or help files for "typefaces, creating and modifying."

In any version look for File> Export> TTF and PFB. (I don't remember if I did a custom install to get these filters.)

Then go to this article by our own Gary B

And I also found these helpful, Lord Kyle and Laurie McCanna.
    Be warned, your fonts won't have kerning, it's hard to adjust the spacing and there are no "font wide" options. Also, Corel Draw (if I remember right) draws paths clockwise when fonts like 'em anti-clockwise or sumpin', so you'll get the occasional missing counter (hole). It's still there but you can't see it.

BUT it's a fantastic freebie just hiding away and if you have the patience to make fonts in CD, well you know you're hooked...

Jess
    IP

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Ross! The good fairy sez...

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] You shall make a font tonite!!!

(brought over from XaraX forum)

All versions of Corel Draw later than v.3 can export to both TrueType and Type 1 formats. Even my v.10 though it isn't documented. F'rinstance, if you have v.7 look in the index or help files for "typefaces, creating and modifying."

In any version look for File> Export> TTF and PFB. (I don't remember if I did a custom install to get these filters.)

Then go to this article by our own Gary B

And I also found these helpful, Lord Kyle and Laurie McCanna.
    Be warned, your fonts won't have kerning, it's hard to adjust the spacing and there are no "font wide" options. Also, Corel Draw (if I remember right) draws paths clockwise when fonts like 'em anti-clockwise or sumpin', so you'll get the occasional missing counter (hole). It's still there but you can't see it.

BUT it's a fantastic freebie just hiding away and if you have the patience to make fonts in CD, well you know you're hooked...

Jess
    IP

Thanks. This topic has also interested me for awhile.

My own site has some articles on font creation, management, etc. and it also focuses on the use of CorelDraw:

TypePhases - Features

http://inicia.es/de/jmas/features.htm
    I have been using it since version 3 and even that old one could create Type 1 or True Type Fonts.

Regards,

-------------------------
    Joan M. Mas
    TypePhases: Dingbats and Fonts for yer computor!
    http://inicia.es/de/jmas
    Joan M. Mas
    TypePhases: Dingbats and Fonts for yer computor!
    http://inicia.es/de/jmas
    IP

Joan your fonts are fantastic, I've been a fan of yours for ages. But I didn't know you had these great tutorials! Thank you!

You've got some excellent links on your page- some new to me- but I didn't spot this gem, Briem's page. It's very general but has the insights of a professional typographer.

Cheers
    Jess
    IP