Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Hi guys,

here is another one for Linux and Windows:

AC3D

They feature an impressive user list (many universities, labs, multimedia companies...)

It's a full fledged 3D modeler, allows textures etc. Real time OpenGL view. Very intuitive, only 1.5 megs to download. 31 days trial period, and the registration is - no, not free, but only US$ 39.95.

I don't see any reason to NOT invest into this marvel.

OK, here is the drawback: you need POVRay to render the scene, but hey, POVRay is FREE and one of the fastest and best render engines around.

Many file formats for import and export.

It's amazing, a great companion for Rhino users who don't want to spend funds for the Flamingo renderer. Just export your scene as a 3DS file, import it, apply textures and surface options to the objects, and hit RENDER - POVRay will start automatically (if it's installed).

I really wonder about the motivation of these code cracks.

So if there is anyone who doesn't want to spend US$ 3.000 on a great 3D app, this one is for you.

Have a great weekend,

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Hi guys,

here is another one for Linux and Windows:

AC3D

They feature an impressive user list (many universities, labs, multimedia companies...)

It's a full fledged 3D modeler, allows textures etc. Real time OpenGL view. Very intuitive, only 1.5 megs to download. 31 days trial period, and the registration is - no, not free, but only US$ 39.95.

I don't see any reason to NOT invest into this marvel.

OK, here is the drawback: you need POVRay to render the scene, but hey, POVRay is FREE and one of the fastest and best render engines around.

Many file formats for import and export.

It's amazing, a great companion for Rhino users who don't want to spend funds for the Flamingo renderer. Just export your scene as a 3DS file, import it, apply textures and surface options to the objects, and hit RENDER - POVRay will start automatically (if it's installed).

I really wonder about the motivation of these code cracks.

So if there is anyone who doesn't want to spend US$ 3.000 on a great 3D app, this one is for you.

Have a great weekend,

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Wtih all respect Jens, but to call AC3D a Cinema 4D clone is like calling Wings 3D a Maya clone

Yes, I have Cinema 4D

With all respect to Jens also, but I tried the demo of this app, and I don't think it holds a fraction of a candle to Wings3D, expecially once you open up the Advanced Preferences and turn on Advanced Menus in Wings, something I just recently found out. REALLY impressive, especially for a FREE program. Wings3D is now WAY beyond Nendo, the program from which it was originally copied, and THAT program was $100, years ago, when it was still available. Funny thing is, more and more people are starting models in Wings and importing them to Maya, Max, etc, for finalizing and rendering.

Danny Huff

Wings blows it away easily.

I uninstalled it after only a few hours of playing with it.

Why bother when there are many GOOD apps out there?

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jens g.r. benthien:
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    For $595 US you buy Cinema 4D XL 8 Jens, the same we pay for Photoshop