Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

http://www.jv16.org/

on this site you find RegCleaner. I downloaded it, tried it out and found it very reliable, understandable, and the opposite of frightening.

You can for example specify "Corel" and it finds all the references (in more than one time) to "Corel" and you have the opportunity to delete them.

If you don't work against time, time often works for you.

Thanks Chris -that seems to have sorted it out!

Bill

Wiped drive, installed ME and Office 2000 then Corel Xara and Xara X. Neither will start at all.

This is now in the really weird class of faults.

I have about 200 Xara files (many MOD work related) I can't use!!

Any more ideas chaps?

Bill

When you say wiped, do you mean that you gave the drive a fresh format so that you would have a blank drive? Are you installing XaraX from the CD?

Try this. START | FIND | FILES OR FOLDERS

In the named box type "XaraX.exe (without quotes)
    Make sure LOOK In Box points to Local Hard Drives
    Click on Find Now

When XaraX.exe appears in the Name Box (probably in the C:\Program Files\Xara\XaraX folder)double click on it. XaraX should then start.

Lets us know what happens.

John

The installation program sets up default registry values which Xara reads when it first runs. The program makes changes to copies of some of these values in memory while it's running and then re-writes all the registry settings when it shuts down. It seems that the default settings work on your system, but the re-written ones don't. Do you operate a multi-user system and, if so, which user are you using to install X? Could it be that X is somehow being denied access to its own directory?

I'm not sure how intelligent the registry cleaning software is, but not all keys associated with Xara have the string "Xara" in them. I'd be interested to know, however, if X starts if you just delete the key:<blockquote>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\Xa raX</blockquote>Bearing in mind that X re-writes all the registry values when it closes, delete the key when X isn't running!

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean

Finally, tried deleting Xara key in the registry as suggested by Sean. (All else failed) and at present it is starting OK. I'm still suspicious but keeping fingers crossed .....

Thanks folks for all the efforts