Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Like a spoiled child ... the more "toys" Charles and Co. give me to play with ... the more I want.

How difficult would it be to create a mask tool that would allow you to do selective effects (ie: feathering) on a portion of a drawing or image without effecting the remainder?

Like a spoiled child ... the more "toys" Charles and Co. give me to play with ... the more I want.

How difficult would it be to create a mask tool that would allow you to do selective effects (ie: feathering) on a portion of a drawing or image without effecting the remainder?

Clipping mask should solve your problem.

Roman

Like this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	feather.png 
Views:	489 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	8645  

And the .xar file for those that are interested. A huge 4.8K
    Attached Files Attached Files

Charles

Without opening your file my guess is you have used the star and a non-transparent bitmap duplicate to achieve this effect. And the original star has been feathered and the duplicate bitmap star, which is on top, has not. And that you then applied various linear transparencies to the bitmap.

Am I close?

Gary

Gary, it's not that complicated. Just the three shapes on top of each other with different feather and grad transparency values. No bitmaps.

I did something similar yesterday, but with bitmaps (it was a bitmap I wanted the selective feathering on). I had a photo of Buckingham Palace with a dull sky, and wanted to feather the top of the building to fit into the new skyline, but not to feather the other three edges of the Buck.Palace image (else the sky behind would show through).

I used a 2pix feather and ClipViewed 3pix into the edge of the top photo, so the outside feathering was hidden. A bit of a cheat really, but it worked and I only lost 6 pixels http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buckpal.jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	15433  

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OklaEd:

How difficult would it be to create a mask tool that would allow you to do selective effects (ie: feathering) on a portion of a drawing or image without effecting the remainder? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would be a great addition. It´s true it´s already possible use some work arounds like in Charles sample, but there´s situations where it´s much more complicated to achieve those effects.
    Suppose you have a more complicated shape like the one in this image (a). Consider the shape the black part behind the white where the black zones should be feathered. As you can see the result isn´t as much convicent as in the star sample given by Charles because the feathered zones are in opposite directions (the result b looks more a part of a shadow of something than a feathered shape).
    Of course we can improve this result to get a more convincent feather but it will cost us more work, more shapes etc etc.

The image c it´s an ideia for a solution.I don´t know if it´s feasable or not but seems logic (their use) at least for me.
    Suppose there´s anew feather tool in the toolbar.Here is the description on how it can work:
    The grey shape is our original shape that we want to feather. When selecting the "new" feather tool a clone of the grey shape will appear over the grey shape in the same position.Then the user just move the point handles of the cloned shape (white shape with the red outline) in a way that only the remaining visible parts of the original shape (the grey one) will be feathered by Xara X engine.
    Resuming: The cloned shape will show the solid parts of the "final object" while the visible parts of the original shape will show the feathered zones of the "final object".
    This is somewhat similar if not the same at all to the clipping mask feature that Dmagician talk about.

http://www.avedesk.com/temp/feather.gif

Regards
    Miguel B.

Daniel, you lost me on this step,
    "I used a 2pix feather and ClipViewed 3pix into the edge of the top photo, so the outside feathering was hidden."