Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: macros

I recommend macros to make XX more convenient and fun. These are a few I've set up for myself...

===============================
    color/attributes from palette.xar:

The first two macros are based on using ctrl-c to copy attributes, and ctrl-shift-a to paste attributes. The properties you can copy and paste include: fill color and fill type; transparency and type; line width, color, and stroke shape.

First make a xar file for your palette -- start with a few colors and line widths, or go all out: use layers, and include a color wheel, special palettes, color combinations, web safe colors, most commonly used combinations of line and color, special fills, etc.

This macro will toggle between your palette xar and regular drawing xar. Open both, and with the palette file displayed, place the cursor/pointer (whatever it's called) on top of the object to copy, hit the (same) hotkey again, and the macro will copy the attributes and switch you back to your drawing file. You can then begin drawing with the new attributes, or paste them on a pre-existing object.

The macro is designed so you don't have to select the source object, just place your pointer/cursor over it -- but you can click if you want to, no problem. It also doesn't matter what is selected or not selected; it shouldn't alter your objects. The palette xar will also stay at its own scale, independent of the drawing file. If you want the color editor to toggle with the palette, remove the two asterisks in the macro. (hotkey: ctrl-shift-spacebar)

[F3][Mouse L,-,-][Ctrl C][Mouse LS,-,-][Ctrl Tab][*Ctrl E*][Ctrl-Shift A]

color/attributes from same file:

Once you have a color/attribute already in your drawing, it is convenient to copy and paste in the usual way (select source object, ctrl-c; select target object ctrl-shift-a).

This macro however, will automaticly set current attributes, so you don't have to check 'give new objects most recent attributes' in options. If you want to maintain the same attributes, with a different set of attributes on the clipboard, then use ctrl-c, ctrl-shift-a. This way both options are always available.

Also if you move the cursor/pointer quickly, after hitting your hotkey, you can simply point to your target object and the color/attributes will paste automaticly. If not, just select the object and hit ctrl-shift-a.

Like the previous macro, you can click on the source object before hitting the hotkey, or just point to it; and you don't have to worry about selected objects getting accidently altered or deleted. (hotkey: ctrl-spacebar)

[Mouse L,-,-][Ctrl C][Mouse LS,-,-][Ctrl-Shift A]

====================================
    This macro gives the shape editor tool the virtual ability to select objects. I wrote it to stop from adding stray nodes to my drawings while trying to get the shape editor to wake up. Oh, it doesn't do selections. I knew that. (hotkey: F1) (overrides Help shortcut, but Help available via menu.)

[F3][Mouse L,-,-][F4]

This macro sets all nodes to cusp and zooms to selection. I prefer editing with independent control handles (cusp nodes) as a starting point. Set the pointer (of any tool) directly over a regular-select node and hit your hotkey. The object's nodes will appear in edit-select mode (with the hollow squares). To change to regular-select mode shift-click outside object. (hotkey: win-c)

[F4][Mouse LSC,-,-][Ctrl-Shift Z][Z]

This macro closes a line to create a shape. Especially useful when drawing with no line width. Place the freehand tool's pointer on one end of a line (shows +), then hit your hotkey. The shape editor's infobar settings for curved or straight lines apply to the line segment. (hotkey: alt-spacebar)

[F4][Mouse L,-,-][Return][F3]

clipview breakapart thing:

To create a backfill shape, simply select the objects, then run this macro to apply clipview and break it apart (convert to editable shapes, ungroup, and break shapes). This process is described in the recent 'backfilling' thread. (hotkey: ctrl-F12)

[Alt R][W][Ctrl-Shift S][pause 0.3][CTRL U][Alt R][Up 6][Return][pause 0.3][F2][pause 0.3][Esc]

these macros assign hotkeys to menu commands without shortcuts:

toggle scrollbars (hotkey: win-s)
    [Alt W][B][S]

clipview (hotkey: win-spacebar)
    [Alt R][W]

join shapes (hotkey: win-j)
    [Alt R][J]

break shapes (hotkey: win-b)
    [Alt R][Up 6][Return]

The hotkey assignments should be customized of course, as well as the actual macros if need be; the settings are just what work well for me.

I've written these macros for use with KeyText. KeyText operates unobtrusively from the system tray and requires minimal resources. It can use the win key as a modifier which adds a lot of possibilities. (http://www.mjmsoft.com/ free for one month, 503kb). I like KeyText, but there are other good macro programs, and may also be freeware macro utilities that would do the job.

I also use mjmsoft's TrayDay, which can append date and counter numbers to files. I ran out of descriptive titles for drawings long ago, so I just stamp my xar files in the form 092301-092.xar (date-counter number). I use folders to separate projects, then use XnView (http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pierre.g/index.html freeware, 632kb) to open thumbnails and identify files visually. The files, set by name, display most-recently-created on top, or set by date, most-recently-modified on top.

I would like Xara to incorporate macros, key remapping, and the infobar functions in a simple scripting language. I believe this is compact code and would be more consistent with XX's strengths than adding special tools for everything.

Ed Nadie

I recommend macros to make XX more convenient and fun. These are a few I've set up for myself...

color/attributes from palette.xar:

The first two macros are based on using ctrl-c to copy attributes, and ctrl-shift-a to paste attributes. The properties you can copy and paste include: fill color and fill type; transparency and type; line width, color, and stroke shape.

First make a xar file for your palette -- start with a few colors and line widths, or go all out: use layers, and include a color wheel, special palettes, color combinations, web safe colors, most commonly used combinations of line and color, special fills, etc.

This macro will toggle between your palette xar and regular drawing xar. Open both, and with the palette file displayed, place the cursor/pointer (whatever it's called) on top of the object to copy, hit the (same) hotkey again, and the macro will copy the attributes and switch you back to your drawing file. You can then begin drawing with the new attributes, or paste them on a pre-existing object.

The macro is designed so you don't have to select the source object, just place your pointer/cursor over it -- but you can click if you want to, no problem. It also doesn't matter what is selected or not selected; it shouldn't alter your objects. The palette xar will also stay at its own scale, independent of the drawing file. If you want the color editor to toggle with the palette, remove the two asterisks in the macro. (hotkey: ctrl-shift-spacebar)

[F3][Mouse L,-,-][Ctrl C][Mouse LS,-,-][Ctrl Tab][*Ctrl E*][Ctrl-Shift A]

color/attributes from same file:

Once you have a color/attribute already in your drawing, it is convenient to copy and paste in the usual way (select source object, ctrl-c; select target object ctrl-shift-a).

This macro however, will automaticly set current attributes, so you don't have to check 'give new objects most recent attributes' in options. If you want to maintain the same attributes, with a different set of attributes on the clipboard, then use ctrl-c, ctrl-shift-a. This way both options are always available.

Also if you move the cursor/pointer quickly, after hitting your hotkey, you can simply point to your target object and the color/attributes will paste automaticly. If not, just select the object and hit ctrl-shift-a.

Like the previous macro, you can click on the source object before hitting the hotkey, or just point to it; and you don't have to worry about selected objects getting accidently altered or deleted. (hotkey: ctrl-spacebar)

[Mouse L,-,-][Ctrl C][Mouse LS,-,-][Ctrl-Shift A]

This macro gives the shape editor tool the virtual ability to select objects. I wrote it to stop from adding stray nodes to my drawings while trying to get the shape editor to wake up. Oh, it doesn't do selections. I knew that. (hotkey: F1) (overrides Help shortcut, but Help available via menu.)

[F3][Mouse L,-,-][F4]

This macro sets all nodes to cusp and zooms to selection. I prefer editing with independent control handles (cusp nodes) as a starting point. Set the pointer (of any tool) directly over a regular-select node and hit your hotkey. The object's nodes will appear in edit-select mode (with the hollow squares). To change to regular-select mode shift-click outside object. (hotkey: win-c)

[F4][Mouse LSC,-,-][Ctrl-Shift Z][Z]

This macro closes a line to create a shape. Especially useful when drawing with no line width. Place the freehand tool's pointer on one end of a line (shows +), then hit your hotkey. The shape editor's infobar settings for curved or straight lines apply to the line segment. (hotkey: alt-spacebar)

[F4][Mouse L,-,-][Return][F3]

clipview breakapart thing:

To create a backfill shape, simply select the objects, then run this macro to apply clipview and break it apart (convert to editable shapes, ungroup, and break shapes). This process is described in the recent 'backfilling' thread. (hotkey: ctrl-F12)

[Alt R][W][Ctrl-Shift S][pause 0.3][CTRL U][Alt R][Up 6][Return][pause 0.3][F2][pause 0.3][Esc]

these macros assign hotkeys to menu commands without shortcuts:

toggle scrollbars (hotkey: win-s)
    [Alt W][B][S]

clipview (hotkey: win-spacebar)
    [Alt R][W]

join shapes (hotkey: win-j)
    [Alt R][J]

break shapes (hotkey: win-b)
    [Alt R][Up 6][Return]

The hotkey assignments should be customized of course, as well as the actual macros if need be; the settings are just what work well for me.

I've written these macros for use with KeyText. KeyText operates unobtrusively from the system tray and requires minimal resources. It can use the win key as a modifier which adds a lot of possibilities. (http://www.mjmsoft.com/ free for one month, 503kb). I like KeyText, but there are other good macro programs, and may also be freeware macro utilities that would do the job.

I also use mjmsoft's TrayDay, which can append date and counter numbers to files. I ran out of descriptive titles for drawings long ago, so I just stamp my xar files in the form 092301-092.xar (date-counter number). I use folders to separate projects, then use XnView (http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pierre.g/index.html freeware, 632kb) to open thumbnails and identify files visually. The files, set by name, display most-recently-created on top, or set by date, most-recently-modified on top.

I would like Xara to incorporate macros, key remapping, and the infobar functions in a simple scripting language. I believe this is compact code and would be more consistent with XX's strengths than adding special tools for everything.

Ed Nadie

Sheesh Ed

I had to read all the way to the bottom of your post to see that you need a 3rd party application to activate your macros. I thought I was missing something like a secret Masonic handshake or something.

The pointer/cursor is called the Selector Tool. You can determine the name of any Xara tool or icon (and this holds true for most Windows aps) by letting your cursor rest over the icon/tool for a second or two (unless your macro has disabled this feature :-) A tool tip will appear with the proper name.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but all these macros seem a bit too left-brained for me. I would spend all my waking hours just trying to remember the key combinations.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<A HREF="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester" TARGET=_blank>
    Be it ever so humble...</A>

http://www.thuntek.net/gwp/flag.jpg

Hi Gary,

First, I want to thank you for your lucid tutorials. They have made learning XX quick and painless, and I'm sorry to repay you with aggravation.

The idea behind macros is to get the left-brained stuff out of the way, so the actual operation of the program can be more intuitive. I find that if I can immediately accomplish what I want, without pausing to consciously figure it out, I'm free to stay in a creative zone, which is my focus. I offer these macros became I suspect a few others would find them as helpful as I do. If not, I'm content to keep them as a secret weapon.

People generally call the mouse pointer a cursor, but technically the cursor is the mark which indicates where to insert text. Just to clarify, where I write pointer/cursor I don't mean the selector tool, I mean any tool's pointer.

Ed Nadie