Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: crops and bleed

Hi,

I'm trying to get an A4 layout printed to a postscript file through a PS printer driver with a 3mm bleed. The document has a bleed set and this comes out fine with printer's marks set off in the Zara dialogue. However as soon as I set printer's marks on (even with no options selected) the bleed disappears from my postscript output file. Selecting paper > full bleed A4 for the printer makes no difference. I suppose I could make the Xara paper size 3mm bigger in all directions, ie 216x303mm?

Had a quick search and not seen this covered before.

Is it me or Xara?

Thanks
    Richard

Richard

www.graphitedesign.net
    www.richardcassidy.com
    design | graphitedesign.net
    photography | richardcassidy.com

Hi,

I'm trying to get an A4 layout printed to a postscript file through a PS printer driver with a 3mm bleed. The document has a bleed set and this comes out fine with printer's marks set off in the Zara dialogue. However as soon as I set printer's marks on (even with no options selected) the bleed disappears from my postscript output file. Selecting paper > full bleed A4 for the printer makes no difference. I suppose I could make the Xara paper size 3mm bigger in all directions, ie 216x303mm?

Had a quick search and not seen this covered before.

Is it me or Xara?

Thanks
    Richard

Richard

www.graphitedesign.net
    www.richardcassidy.com

I would make you page quite a bit larger. I suspect that the marks disappear because the marks need paper to be printed on.

Try making your page about 1" larger all around, or more, and see if that works.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

The Xara Xone

I have tried making the page size in Xara bigger to incorporate the bleed *but* then the crop marks (correctly) align with the edge of the paper defined in Xara - i.e. they don't line up with the bleed as it is now on the page.

Selecting bigger paper sizes on the printer driver and changing the print options give me plenty of room for the image, bleed and printers marks.
    Normally I have a 210x297mm page defined in Xara with 3mm bleed hanging off the edges.

I need bleed as the images and backgrounds go to the edge of the page, and I need crops to show the printer where to cut it. I want to do it this way so I can give postscript and PDF colour seps to my print bureau.

I reckon it's a little 'bugette' but I'm not known to be right very often - just ask my wife [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,

Richard

www.graphitedesign.net
    www.richardcassidy.com

if not a bit more primitive is to add your own crop and bleed marks (around .25pt) and use the Prints on all Plates designation (right click on the crop marks and select Imagesetting > Prints on all Plates from the pop up menu).

This makes the crops 100% CMYK. I usually use this method.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

www.gwpriester.com </a>

The Xara Xone

...but I am completely embarrassed! It was a case of user error - no great surprise! I had made my bleed manually, and did not realise there was a bleed option to set in the page options.

My only excuse is that I have not used Xara to output direct for print before - pretty lame I know.

Gary, thanks for your input and sorry for wasting your, and everyone elses, time.

I rarely write to public forums and to do this when the answer is right in front of me is most frustrating.

Reminder to self: do not post to public forums before reading manual [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Richard

www.graphitedesign.net
    www.richardcassidy.com

Richard

For every question asked in these forums, there are dozens of people wanting to know the same thing but are afraid to ask. You have done them all a favor (and of course I did not realize you could automatically add bleed to your page or I would have suggested it myself [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img])

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

www.gwpriester.com </a>

The Xara Xone