Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thanks, Richard. Duh, I know Xara already does the whole object, don't know why I included that http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif.

What I SHOULD have said was that I would like a tool that would work the exact same way on a group of points as well as the object. I hate to say it, but Illustrator, Freehand, and CorelDraw have had it for some time and I find it to be a pretty handy tool.

> dump MDI

If you mean duplicating the workspace and the toolbars for each open document, Please Don't. That's a big waste of real estate for those of us who don't use multiple monitors. As Rammie said, you can drag your palettes and toolbars all over the place now if your workspace isn't maximized.

> Galleries ... make them all the same size as they are pulled larger and make them sticky so they snap to each other (this would include any tool bars that are undocked too!!)

Docking and similar behavior is fine so long as there's an option to turn it off for those of us who don't want it, or only want it sometimes.

> Pasting to locked layers

Yep, that's one I can happily do without. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

BTW, stratocast, re pasting text — if Xara doesn't paste text from a wordprocessor as ASCII or ANSI, thus automatically cleaning out the formatting codes, the source app may be the culprit. I don't paste (or import) text from any app into another except as plain text because surprises frequently lurk behind the scenes. Word is particularly bad about including junk.

>The shadow tool, I wish I could carry the attribute to another object...

Me too.

And more than anything, I want some things I've asked for multiple times before: Align to Selected Object (instead of Align to Extreme), and a true origin in the upper left corner rather than the lower left.

Here's another I voted for in 2001 that would be nice: Option to save rotation point position with object and copy/apply with other attributes.

Ref Richards comment - have you tried using the main work area NOT maximized?? You CAN then move your galleries over and out of the main work area very easily.

just a point - I have no problems moving galleries out of the main work area even with XaraX maximised on my main monitor. No need to minimise at all it works like a charm.

Also as an aside . I use a great dual monitor tool called Untramon which allows me to instantly flip the main XaraX window to my second monitor when wanted without losing placement of the 'floating' galleries

This app is a godsend as in my work Im usually copy images from Acrobat documents into XaraX for editing and then export to file to then import into Word. I find having Word on monitor 1 and Acrobat on monitor 2 with XaraX floating between the two and brought to the front as required is great.

Jim

I would like a tool that would work the exact same way on a group of points.... http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

Is there a way for you to illustrate what you are trying to say here? I am totally confused with this line!! Even post an example from Draw if need be?? Not sure how you would do this but maybe in tutorial form where you would point out the points and what they are supposed to do and why this would be addition to Xara X1.

Thanks much! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Clements:
    Hi Stratocastn and others,

FYI You _DON'T_ have to go through all the steps you listed when accidentally pasting to a locked layer.

_Just press CTRL+Z (undo)_. I have gotten so used to how this works I like the way Xara allows you to paste to a locked layer. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi John,

Yes, of course you're right, hitting CTRL+Z will do the trick and I won't bore you with an explanation of my idiosyncratic way of working. However, I feel that I should be able to lock a layer to protect it from accidental modification, and that means all and any modification. The way X1 works at the moment is totally counter intuitive to me and although I've been using the app since CorelXara 1.x, I suspect that, unlike you, I will never be able to get my head around it. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/frown.gif
    -- Bob

Seems there are lots of folks so far that want to be able to copy and paste attibutes other than the color and transparency of another objects.

CorelDraw 12 has this under the Eye Dropper Tool called Object Attributes. See the screen shot below................

This sort of functionality belongs in Xara X1 IMHO!! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Draw_12_Object_Attributes.gif 
Views:	374 
Size:	6.0 KB 
ID:	885  
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Allison Moore:
    BTW, stratocast, re pasting text — if Xara doesn't paste text from a wordprocessor as ASCII or ANSI, thus automatically cleaning out the formatting codes, the source app may be the culprit. I don't paste (or import) text from any app into another except as plain text because surprises frequently lurk behind the scenes. Word is particularly bad about including junk. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Allison,

I was actually pasting plain text from a so called "notepad replacement" app. You make a good point though and I'll investigate further.
    -- Bob

> pasting plain text from a so called "notepad replacement" app

NoteTab, BAC? http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Lately, I've occasionally had text coming in with some sort of default font. I wonder if NoteTab is being "helpful" or XP?

'Course, you may be right that it's the old Xara default rearing its ugly head. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

Layers Gallery: I'm all for the suggestion that clicking on an object highlights the object AND the layer it's on. (At present you just have to turn layers visibility on and off to see which layer it's on)
    Secondly I'd like to be able to just 'run' the mouse down the layers to select/deselect them. At present you have to click on each box in turn to select/deselect them)
    Flash is excellent in both these fields.
    Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Dockable Galleries: NO, I hate them and roll ups!
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host