Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

The image below represents about 30 minutes playing with my new tablet and Xara. The sketch is based on a study sketch Michelangelo did for the Libyan Sibyl of the Sistene Ceiling.

This kind of scratchy sketch with lots of scribbles is a style I'm used to doing with a technical pen on vellum. I find it kind of strange that when I start sketching in Xara I end up doing the same things...

On paper, pen & ink sketching has no undo button - you have to live with every scratch you put down. In the scribble technique you don't sweat the stray lines, you just keep adding more until those mistakes just blend into the mess! (Four good lines for every bad one is my motto). In Xara if you put down a line that looks wrong you can edit or delete it. Not used to that luxury when sketching, I finding I don't think to edit anything. No lines were harmed in the development of the sketch below. Messy? Yes, but at least all the lines survived the ordeal. I just hope it has some messy vitality.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sketch.jpg 
Views:	561 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	4196  

The image below represents about 30 minutes playing with my new tablet and Xara. The sketch is based on a study sketch Michelangelo did for the Libyan Sibyl of the Sistene Ceiling.

This kind of scratchy sketch with lots of scribbles is a style I'm used to doing with a technical pen on vellum. I find it kind of strange that when I start sketching in Xara I end up doing the same things...

On paper, pen & ink sketching has no undo button - you have to live with every scratch you put down. In the scribble technique you don't sweat the stray lines, you just keep adding more until those mistakes just blend into the mess! (Four good lines for every bad one is my motto). In Xara if you put down a line that looks wrong you can edit or delete it. Not used to that luxury when sketching, I finding I don't think to edit anything. No lines were harmed in the development of the sketch below. Messy? Yes, but at least all the lines survived the ordeal. I just hope it has some messy vitality.

Regards, Ross

Hi Ross,

I've always liked pen & ink sketches. You make it look very easy. Very good work. The shadow to highlight the profile is a great touch.

Do you use 0% smoothing for your lines?

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Just like the "real" thing! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I love "scribbled?" sketches, they have such life to them. I also enjoy quick sketches done with ink and brush. The lines help the mind fill in the blanks of the detail that might not be there.

Great stuff Ross!

Risto

I tend to set the soothing intuitively with the slider. I begin by drawing a freehand line and then adjusting the tool's smoothing slider until I see something I can work with. In the image above most of the 730 lines are set at about 24%. I've noticed on other drawings that I tend to gravitate towards 8 to 10%. I suppose one factor is how long the lines used are: with short lines, I would tend to use a higher percentage because the impact is less noticable. I drew the face about 200 pixels wide and most lines are .25pt and most have no pressure profile.

Glad you like the wee bit of grey tone used. It simulates the smudged tones I occasionally use on pencil sketches. These days I don't do many of those but the pencil is the ultimate sketching tool because it is so flexible. I attach one below that I hope you'll enjoy. This "burden carrier" is from a pencil architectural rendering I did about a year ago. I think that's the last time I picked up a pencil and drew something. Resolution: Pick up a pencil and draw...

Regards, Ross

Name:	mahonebuggy.jpg 
Views:	539 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	11068  

Risto - I posted the sketch because it is a style we don't see in this forum much and yet it can be quite effectively done in Xara. With my tablet, I would have to say the act of creating the sketch in Xara was not different than if I had done it on paper with a pen. It took about the same time. It was not any easier or harder - it was remarkably the same and I'm new to tablets.

This scribble style is something everyone should try at least a few times (once ain't enough baby!). It really is easy. I wouldn't say I'm particularly good at it - I use far more lines than are necessary to get the job done. You are absolutely right that the mind can be engaged to "fill in the blanks". My goal is to leave more blanks [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I too admire good brushwork. I find oriental brushwork particulary beautiful. Unfortunately the restraint necessary to do it seems to evaid me hence all the scribbles!

Regards, Ross

I thought I'd post a true pen&ink example of the scribble technique. I drew this one 16 years ago (gasp!) from a photo. It is a church in Poland - I think. (Hard to remember - too many beers, not enough brain cells!).

As I've said, I find the Xara version of the technique to be very similar.

Regards, Ross

Name:	church.jpg 
Views:	526 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	17903  

Ross,

I love all three sketches you've posted here! Three different media, very impressive images. You have a great gift.

Thank you for sharing your sketches and the "intuitive" approach to setting the smoothing.

Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Soquili - I reject the notion of "gifts" and talent for the most part. I think all people are creative - it is part of being human. We all learn to express (and repress) our creativity in different ways. We all develop particular sets of skills. Some skills are clearly difficult to learn. The sketching skills I have aren't particularly well developed and anyone could match or exceed them with a little effort. Our society's tendency towards attributing talent has the negative effect of making those without the particular skill feel somewhat inadequate when they see someone who does. Of course the concept of talent also pumps up the ego of the person who has developed a desirable skill.

Some creative skills take years to develop - but not necessarily hard work. Sketching gets easier the more you do it. Anyone can sketch and the "trick" to getting better is to keep at it and not be discouraged or set too high an expectation on yourself. As Nike says "just do it". Same goes for almost any skill - whether it's writing nice letters, being great in bed, or making funny jokes. We can all be great letter writing lovers full of funny jokes.

That's my little rant for the day [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] It is time for bed. Regards, Ross

Hi Ross,

Thanks for the encouragement that any of us can be creative.

Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update