Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi everyone! I'm new to X1, and have been playing with the Button and NavBar tool. Everything was going well in my experiments, and rather than restricting my project to just a nav bar with buttons, I added some other graphics to my canvas to make an entire web page. This, to my pleasure, exported perfectly a few times.

However, after a bit more work, I noticed that the exported HTML suddenly had lots (and lots) of white space to the left and bottom (i.e. my nav bar, along with the rest of my web page, were only occupying a small upper-right portion of the exported page). I don't know how this happened, as there's absolutely nothing in the outer margin of my project, and the page had previously been exporting perfectly.

If anyone can shed any light on this, I'd be very grateful as it's really beginning to annoy me. I had considered reducing the outer margin of my project, but that slightly defeats the point as it's a useful working area and the export was working fine and ignoring the outer margin fine before...

Thanks,

Rob

Hi everyone! I'm new to X1, and have been playing with the Button and NavBar tool. Everything was going well in my experiments, and rather than restricting my project to just a nav bar with buttons, I added some other graphics to my canvas to make an entire web page. This, to my pleasure, exported perfectly a few times.

However, after a bit more work, I noticed that the exported HTML suddenly had lots (and lots) of white space to the left and bottom (i.e. my nav bar, along with the rest of my web page, were only occupying a small upper-right portion of the exported page). I don't know how this happened, as there's absolutely nothing in the outer margin of my project, and the page had previously been exporting perfectly.

If anyone can shed any light on this, I'd be very grateful as it's really beginning to annoy me. I had considered reducing the outer margin of my project, but that slightly defeats the point as it's a useful working area and the export was working fine and ignoring the outer margin fine before...

Thanks,

Rob

Hello Rob and welcome to the Xara X Conference.

I wonder if you have a phantom object that is causing the area to be so large.

If you press Ctrl a as in Select All, you might see an object down the page that is causing this.

Or, switch to outline view (Window > Quality > Outline) to see if you can find any objects that might be causing this.

Or, press the Tab key repeatedly. This will sequence though all the objects in your drawing. Maybe this will find the phantom object.

Or, maybe this is not the problem. Let us know.

Gary

Now, that's what I call a fast reply! Thanks http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Lo and behold, there was a phantom object in the bottom left corner of the outer margin! Wow, I didn't know that was there! Funnily enough, I had already tried Ctrl-A to select everything, and that didn't show up any objects (which is why I didn't think there was anything in the outer margin). But, hitting Tab many times finally got to the phantom object, which I have now removed. Thanks again!

hi Rob,

The most common way I get phantom objects is with the text tool. Every time I click on the page it creates another empty object. I feel it is more operator error than bug for me.

Yes, I imagine this probably was caused by something I did (i.e. as a new user, it is almost certain to be operator error http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif)... but it is very satisfying to have the answer http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif