Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Guides question

On top is favoured but please leave us the choice also.

The BEST is good enough!
    The BEST is good enough!

Yaayyy! Whoopee! Support on the selection issue. I was afraid I was the lone voice in the wilderness. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

And Sheff, I'm a keyboarder, too. I usually take those icons off the toolbar since I never use 'em.

Allison

Charles;

A resounding YES from me for guides on top by default. I have always wondered what is the value of guidelines if I can't see them? And it is frustrating to have to go into the layers palette with every new document to move the guides layer to the top.

By the way, it's very encouraging to hear that you are back at the Xara X helm, and to see your energetic involvement in the development process through dialogue with the user community here at TG. Now instead of dejectedly whistling in the dark about how much we'd like to see Xara X upgraded -- and worrying that it may be allowed to become obsolete -- we can actually have hope for this great little program's future. (That's "little" in the digital footprint sense, not in regard to its capabilities.)

Glen
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who think there are two kinds of people in the world, and those who don’t.

Charles,

Thanks for asking about the guidelines. I have found that I tend to bring them to the top layer position as soon as I begin using them, so I believe it's best to have them open there by default. They can always be switched on and off with the END button anyway.

Kudos for wading in here at TG and engaging Xara users.

Best regards,

Kane

Just realized I was so concerned about the selection thing, I never spoke up on the guides. 'Course, it looks like everyone feels the same, so you may not need anymore feedback. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif Guides belong on top.

And working with guides just now, I remembered something else at the top of my plead list: the ability to originate measurement from the upper left corner down in positive numbers.

Image maps; aligning elements according to measurements required by other applications; antialiasing images destined for PowerPoint against the right place in the background; setting up sequences of guidelines without suffering pretzel brain...

Speaking of guides... What annoys me every time is the offset of the drawing. I know PS reckons from the lower left corner of the page, but working with bitmaps it’s a lot easier to have the offset or origin from the upper left corner (and yes I know I can reset the 0,0 point by dragging, but all positions are negative from there on and the position of the elements are calculated from the bottom of the object. Most confusing, I must say …
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen.gif 
Views:	197 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	1257